Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Notice from PSA Management about a certification number (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=292950)

russkcpa 12-06-2020 04:18 AM

Notice from PSA Management about a certification number

2 Attachment(s)
I happened to be looking at some recent prices on PSA for some of my high end cards. With one of my 52 Mantle cards (purchase a few years ago in a Heritage auction and sitting in a Lighthouse case) when I typed in the certification number up popped a message to contact Jackie Curiel at 949-567-1254 for an important message. I have seen this before but never with any of my cards. After researching the certification number I believe it may have been used in an attempted counterfeit card sale some years ago so not sure if that card popped up again ?
I will contact Jackie but was curious if anyone had run into this.
Thanks
Russ

swarmee 12-06-2020 06:06 AM

Yep, someone else probably tried to register the serial number in their registry and was told it was already assigned to one.
Do you have it logged into your PSA registry or inventory?

After the trimming scandal, they have started decertifying cert numbers without even having the cards in hand now, so it could be something else. But Jackie should be able to get you the answers.

swarmee 12-06-2020 11:39 AM

This deserves a little more publicity. PSA gives two consecutive Joe Montana RCs PSA 10 GEM MT grades (SMR value $18K each), then recalls them because they are "mechanical errors."
https://www.blowoutforums.com/attach...1&d=1607048690
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428366

Why anyone trusts this POS company is beyond me.

Add: but they don't recall trimmed cards... or cards from known card trimmer consignors.

Lorewalker 12-06-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2042610)

Add: but they don't recall trimmed cards... or cards from known card trimmer consignors.

Seems they do not mind occasionally admitting to an obvious mistake but they will never admit to being incompetent or corrupt by admitting they graded a bunch of altered cards.

swarmee 12-06-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorewalker (Post 2042625)
Seems they do not mind occasionally admitting to an obvious mistake but they will never admit to being incompetent or corrupt by admitting they graded a bunch of altered cards.

Yep; they take a look at the ones sent back under the Grade Guarantee and re-certify them as unaltered! Oh to be the Emporer with no clothes.

ullmandds 12-07-2020 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never get cheated!

russkcpa 12-07-2020 10:51 PM

Update:
I spoke with Jackie at PSA today. As suspected a card with my certification number is making the rounds. I have to send my card to Jackie. PSA uses an overnight service through Fedex called Malca-Amit for high dollar items (kind of like having Brinks deliver your card)

I wonder if while it's there they could bump it to a 7.5 or an 8 as a favor for the inconvenience they put me through ?? :):)

Eric72 12-08-2020 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russkcpa (Post 2043177)
I have to send my card to Jackie.

Pardon my ignorance here. Why do you have to do anything?

steve B 12-08-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2042610)
This deserves a little more publicity. PSA gives two consecutive Joe Montana RCs PSA 10 GEM MT grades (SMR value $18K each), then recalls them because they are "mechanical errors."
https://www.blowoutforums.com/attach...1&d=1607048690
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1428366

Maybe the kickback check on the Montanas didn't clear?

Just sort of kidding, I read the other threads at least up to the point where it was said that the dealer submitting was also very surprised.

Smanzari 12-08-2020 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 2043145)
Never get cheated!

That's a promo, the clip is supposed to be there but they're not supposed to grade promo cards like this. That being said I WANT THAT CARD, BAD!!!!

111gecko 12-08-2020 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2043205)
Pardon my ignorance here. Why do you have to do anything?

Agreed..

luciobar1980 12-08-2020 08:35 AM

PSA is the worst. I will still buy PSA cards because of course there are plenty of nice cards in their holders, but i would certainly never submit a card to them again. Maybe I'm part of the problem by buying PSA-graded cards at all. :(

And I echo the above statements about your '52 Mantle. Why would you have to send the card anywhere?? It's not your problem... ?

perezfan 12-08-2020 11:48 AM

I am perplexed as well...

Can you possibly explain why you have to send your card to them? Seems completely irrational and unnecessary, given the chance for loss or damage.

Honestly, what is the purpose of sending it back to them? :confused:

glynparson 12-08-2020 12:18 PM

I swear some
Of you people
Are
Freaking really dumb. Obviously he doesn’t have to, but if he wants PSA to either verify this is the correct one or reassign a new untainted Cert number they are going to need the damn card. Sometimes your hate of PSA makes you look really ignorant.

Republicaninmass 12-08-2020 12:49 PM

+1 Glyn

If only in their wildest dreams they could afford a card that nice. Best ya dollars to donuts they'd have it in a psa holder.

steve B 12-08-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2043338)
+1 Glyn

If only in their wildest dreams they could afford a card that nice. Best ya dollars to donuts they'd have it in a psa holder.

I also agree with Glyn.

But Ted?

I'm happy for you that you are rich enough to be an elitist ****

Republicaninmass 12-08-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2043345)
I also agree with Glyn.

But Ted?

I'm happy for you that you are rich enough to be an elitist ****

right Steve, bet you they would prefer it raw or crack it out.

Showing us some true &assachusetts thikning right there

perezfan 12-08-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2043338)
+1 Glyn

As one of the "really freaking dumb" people here, I am compelled to ask...

How do you draw your connection between someone not wanting to ship the card back to PSA, and not being able to afford it? Can you take us through your vastly flawed logic, and explain how those two factors are remotely connected?

Republicaninmass 12-08-2020 02:17 PM

Same band of village idiots in every psa post, regardless of the topic. Careful now, your jealousy is showing!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bnorth 12-08-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2043375)
Same band of village idiots in every psa post, regardless of the topic. Careful now, your jealousy is showing!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yep, pretty sure that is why I talked crap about PSA in the past. Couldn't afford a expensive card and sad all my cards are not in PSA slabs.;):D:rolleyes:

ullmandds 12-08-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smanzari (Post 2043239)
That's a promo, the clip is supposed to be there but they're not supposed to grade promo cards like this. That being said I WANT THAT CARD, BAD!!!!

I've seen examples not clipped...labeled the same?

timn1 12-09-2020 12:05 PM

there is no connection, really

I guess that's just Ted being Ted....

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2043358)
As one of the "really freaking dumb" people here, I am compelled to ask...

How do you draw your connection between someone not wanting to ship the card back to PSA, and not being able to afford it? Can you take us through your vastly flawed logic, and explain how those two factors are remotely connected?

russkcpa 12-09-2020 05:38 PM

Card was sent back today to receive new certification number. Fedex priority overnight. It’s insured through Malca Amit and PSA's third-party insurance.

Fred 12-09-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2042528)
After the trimming scandal, they have started decertifying cert numbers without even having the cards in hand now, so it could be something else. But Jackie should be able to get you the answers.

Seriously? PSA is de-certing numbers? How would they know what to de-cert? If it's based on the submitter, then something would really appear to be wrong. How could PSA de-cert without reviewing the card? Is there some type of "recourse" someone could have for PSA's actions? Sounds a bit fishy to me.

swarmee 12-09-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2043810)
Seriously? PSA is de-certing numbers? How would they know what to de-cert? If it's based on the submitter, then something would really appear to be wrong. How could PSA de-cert without reviewing the card? Is there some type of "recourse" someone could have for PSA's actions? Sounds a bit fishy to me.

You should read a lot of the trimming threads on Blowout. PSA does. PSA has been shown buckets of evidence that they missed alterations and is starting to decertify altered cards before they even have them in hand. But the ones they decertify first are the ones that make them look incompetent, like the Dover reprint Cracker Jack from the 70s they labeled a 1915 card, despite having perforations.

And Ted does that; he hopes that by poking people in their chest, that they won't continue to expose PSA for the sack of shit they are. Completely incompetent and complicit in not protecting card collectors from the shenanigans they were founded to catch. "Never get cheated!"

swarmee 01-03-2021 03:05 PM

Here's another one that should go *poof* from the PSA cert numbers soon:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-....m46890.l49292

PSA 8 NM-MT Magic Johnson/Larry Bird RC with major paper loss on back.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/e6sAA...tJ/s-l1600.jpg

My guess is that it was damaged when putting it into the slab. Quality control steps should have caught it.

Republicaninmass 01-03-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2043813)

And Ted does that; he hopes that by poking people in their chest, that they won't continue to expose PSA for the sack of shit they are. Completely incompetent and complicit in not protecting card collectors from the shenanigans they were founded to catch. "Never get cheated!"

You're the one chest poking time and time again, derailing threads with anti-PSA comments with no regard to the thread topic. While some are tuning in to see what happens with this Mantle, you are posting another card that should be removed. Not relevant.

Guess you are Anti-psa Unless it's to your advantage. Admittedly "buying psa card only to flip" in the other thread.

swarmee 01-03-2021 06:12 PM

Yep; taking advantage of their customers should be for everyone, right?

russkcpa 01-04-2021 09:47 PM

Agree with glynparson......If PSA "flags" my 52 Mantle due to my C N that will make it impossible to sell at auction. Would YOU buy a card with a flagged C N ??
FYI PSA paid for Fedex priority overnight shipping with full insurance coverage. I had my reholdered card back in the safe deposit box in under 2 days.

todeen 01-04-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russkcpa (Post 2052857)
FYI PSA paid for Fedex priority overnight shipping with full insurance coverage. I had my reholdered card back in the safe deposit box in under 2 days.

I am no fan of PSA, I have no skin in the game either. But a 2 day turn around is high quality customer service. I'm glad it worked out in your favor.

perezfan 01-04-2021 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russkcpa (Post 2052857)
Agree with glynparson......If PSA "flags" my 52 Mantle due to my C N that will make it impossible to sell at auction. Would YOU buy a card with a flagged C N ??

Well done... and great to hear! :cool:

Wimberleycardcollector 01-07-2021 07:54 AM

I don’t collect graded cards but bullies are one of the reasons I am not on many boards any longer. A member asks a simple question and some rude member always has to make it a fight. If you don’t like the question just politely move on. No reason to name call and put people down. Kindness and respect are rare qualities these days. Some self-reflection may be in order.

Johnny630 01-07-2021 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector (Post 2053491)
I don’t collect graded cards but bullies are one of the reasons I am not on many boards any longer. A member asks a simple question and some rude member always has to make it a fight. If you don’t like the question just politely move on. No reason to name call and put people down. Kindness and respect are rare qualities these days. Some self-reflection may be in order.

100% agree Facebook has many card groups full of bullies. It's awful. These are just cards, chill and be happy. The block button is a beautiful feature on Facebook.

Republicaninmass 01-07-2021 09:57 AM

All the background Noise aside, I'm glad there was a positive outcome. Haters gonna hate, and most often, their motive is not the one they are openly expressing

brob28 01-07-2021 10:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2052388)
Here's another one that should go *poof* from the PSA cert numbers soon:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Topps-....m46890.l49292

PSA 8 NM-MT Magic Johnson/Larry Bird RC with major paper loss on back.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/e6sAA...tJ/s-l1600.jpg

My guess is that it was damaged when putting it into the slab. Quality control steps should have caught it.

As if the paper loss isn't enough look at the scuffing/marks on the front! :eek:

Wimberleycardcollector 01-07-2021 10:06 AM

Agree on most points. I was recently accused of having a hidden motive on here by simply sharing information I had obtained on the Miller Press cards. Because I had done my homework and knew quite a lot about them a member suggested I had a motive because I knew so much about them. Maybe I worked for Miller Press or provided art to them since I knew so much. They even went as far to ask if I was selling them myself. Of course that wasn't the case in any of those instances. Just a fan of the cards who did some research. Even so I felt slightly attacked being a relatively new member here. It's a slippery slope to accuse or suggest motive simply on one's gut instinct.

samosa4u 01-07-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2053492)
100% agree Facebook has many card groups full of bullies. It's awful. These are just cards, chill and be happy. The block button is a beautiful feature on Facebook.

The guys on this forum are ANGELS compared to the Facebook posters. They are a bunch of idiots. But I always laugh at them because I know it's so EASY to swear at your cell phone! :)

Republicaninmass 01-07-2021 11:26 AM

I've met some of the best people in my life through the hobby, and undoubtedly some of the worst! The nicer your collection, be it graded or otherwise, the more the "hatters" pile on

AGuinness 01-07-2021 11:32 AM

There's a way to block people here, too. Click "User CP" that is found on the left side of the small menu near the top of every page, then down a little ways on the left is a link to "Edit Ignore List" under Settings and Options. It's makes things much more pleasant.

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-07-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 2053534)
I've met some of the best people in my life through the hobby, and undoubtedly some of the worst! The nicer your collection, be it graded or otherwise, the more the "hatters" pile on

Mad Hatters are the worst...

Republicaninmass 01-07-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2053580)
Mad Hatters are the worst...

Apropos, as many here are truly living in wonderland.

Now OFF WITH THEIR HEADS