Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Babe Ruth Strip card question/assistance (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=294500)

Rhino 01-08-2021 09:44 PM

Babe Ruth Strip card question/assistance

1 Attachment(s)
Found these five Babe Ruth strip cards in my uncle's home. (See attached photo). My question is. Do I send it in for grading with the second strip card (Urban Shocker) attached or do I attempt to cut the Ruth from the strip? Do I have it just authenticated or get a grade for it/them. Any help would be appreciated.

NiceDocter 01-08-2021 10:10 PM

Opinion

I would leave them as is and get them authenticated. Either PSA or SGC would be good or maybe the new grading service but they are not yet taking submissions. It is interesting that they all are the same pair.... they came in longer strips originally.... they look good to me from here but there is always a chance they may be reprints. Good luck with your adventure! Im sure if you decide to sell them after authentication you would have a ready audience on Net54!

Casey2296 01-08-2021 10:20 PM

Nice find, that's pretty special. Don't cut them, PSA is your best bet, SGC black apron would present the best but let's face it they missed the boat on the pre war crowd. The new flip company seems geared more towards modern with their atrocious flip. You would find your best audience here with the old school collectors that would appreciate and pay for what you have in a raw condition.

swarmee 01-09-2021 04:24 AM

If your goal is largest sale value, I'm not sure sending them in as full panels will help you since they weren't originally this size. My guess is that if you sent them both together, in most cases because the Shocker side is trimmed past the dashed line, you would get an AUTHENTIC for the "panel" of 2 cards.
Whereas with the Ruth having its full left and right border, you could get a number grade on just the Ruth if you cut the Shocker card off just to the right of the dashed line. That way you get a number grade (like VG or EX) on the Ruth and your sale value will increase.
Example cut:
https://images.psacard.com/s3/cu-psa...oundcorners=10

Maybe on the ones that have both outside dashed borders, you leave them alone and submit them as a panel, that might be eligible for a number grade together.

On the "set registry" demand side, nobody else has submitted a panel, so there is no requirement for anyone to get it. But then, very few people are chasing the W515-1 set (2 total) or the Babe Ruth Master Set (18 with only 6 above 10%). So I actually see less demand for the panel than Ruth by itself, IMO.

Rhino 01-09-2021 09:14 AM

Ruth Strip Card

Thanks for everyone's reply. Wouldn't even know in which method to trim the cards. I'm a carpenter with big hands and never was good at scrap books. If I attempt to cut it outside the lines of the Ruth, would give best value I agree. But how many want to crack an authentic panel and make a graded Ruth? Poor Urban shocker! Will he ever get the privilege of being a high grade? Maybe attempt to cut the best one and see what it grades? Then submit the other four for authentication?

Rhino 01-09-2021 09:20 AM

Ruth Strip Card

Thanks for everyone's reply. Wouldn't even know in which method to trim the cards. I'm a carpenter with big hands and never was good at scrap books. If I attempt to cut it outside the lines of the Ruth, would give best value I agree. But how many want to crack an authentic panel and make a graded Ruth? Poor Urban shocker! Will he ever get the privilege of being a high grade? Maybe attempt to cut the best one and see what it grades? Then submit the other four for authentication?

swarmee 01-09-2021 09:55 AM

You can do it with normal scissors. That's what I used on Post and Bazooka box cards.