Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Restore or Not to restore? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=302722)

karamaxjoe 05-29-2021 08:32 AM

Restore or Not to restore?

4 Attachment(s)
I just picked up a two seater from old Comiskey Park and it's probably the best Comiskey seats I've ever seen. Where else are you going to see a two seater with figurals on each side?

The previous owner was a Chicago cop that acquired the seats before the Sox installed plastic ones in the box seat sections in the early 80s. Unfortunately the guy didn't have a clue about memorabilia and removed 98% of the paint right after he acquired the seats from the Sox. Luckily you can still see hints of the old blue paint underneath the green paint in some areas.

So what would you do? Just leave it alone or restore the green paint? I already have the color matched green oil based paint ready to go, but I'm a little conflicted. I've restored some Tiger Stadium seats and they looked incredible, so I'm leaning towards restoring them.

3-2-count 05-29-2021 08:39 AM

Mike, if I owned those seats I’d want them to look exactly how they are now.

Original and sweaty! Beautiful.......

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye 05-29-2021 08:45 AM

I'd leave them alone.

eastonfalcon19 05-29-2021 08:46 AM

Beautiful seats...I would leave them just how they are.

Fballguy 05-29-2021 08:50 AM

My vote would be to leave them as is. They look exactly how I'd want them to look.

butchie_t 05-29-2021 10:20 AM

We all have opinions….

Since the previous owner already mucked them up by removing the original paint, if they were mine, I would restore them to their original glory. Clean up the rust and paint them as to how they were.

And then enjoy them. Nice pick up.

yanks12025 05-29-2021 10:21 AM

I would leave them..

ooo-ribay 05-29-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 2108040)
Mike, if I owned those seats I’d want them to look exactly how they are now.

Original and sweaty! Beautiful.......

But they’re not original because the previous owner removed the paint. But, either way, they’re great!

3-2-count 05-29-2021 01:03 PM

Okay, how about weathered look then!

I still like their current condition as is!

ooo-ribay 05-29-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 2108156)
Okay, how about weathered look then!

I still like their current condition as is!

I like the look, too. Those art deco figurals are off the charts!

karamaxjoe 05-29-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2108160)
I like the look, too. Those art deco figurals are off the charts!

The amazing thing is the company that made the seats with the art deco style is still in business today.

https://www.heywoodwakefield.com/about/

butchie_t 05-29-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karamaxjoe (Post 2108173)
The amazing thing is the company that made the seats with the art deco style is still in business today.

https://www.heywoodwakefield.com/about/

Maybe pay them a visit with your seats then. There maybe something cool that comes from it.

todeen 05-29-2021 02:11 PM

I would restore them, but I would do it myself! It's not that hard to strip, sand, prime, and refinish or paint. It takes elbow grease and some time, but I always feel proud about what I've accomplished.

The way I think, especially since they've already been mucked around with, if I'm going to use something I want it to last as long as possible. Putting a new protective coat on is going to help your item exist even longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

David Atkatz 05-29-2021 04:08 PM

The previous owner removed the newest coat of original paint. The green that appears now is also original.
My vote? Leave it alone. It's only original once.
Quote:

Originally Posted by butchie_t (Post 2108087)
We all have opinions….

Since the previous owner already mucked them up by removing the original paint, if they were mine, I would restore them to their original glory. Clean up the rust and paint them as to how they were.

And then enjoy them. Nice pick up.

rand1com 05-29-2021 05:25 PM

I would restore but that is a personal preference.

jcmtiger 05-29-2021 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by karamaxjoe (Post 2108037)
I just picked up a two seater from old Comiskey Park and it's probably the best Comiskey seats I've ever seen. Where else are you going to see a two seater with figurals on each side?

The previous owner was a Chicago cop that acquired the seats before the Sox installed plastic ones in the box seat sections in the early 80s. Unfortunately the guy didn't have a clue about memorabilia and removed 98% of the paint right after he acquired the seats from the Sox. Luckily you can still see hints of the old blue paint underneath the green paint in some areas.

So what would you do? Just leave it alone or restore the green paint? I already have the color matched green oil based paint ready to go, but I'm a little conflicted. I've restored some Tiger Stadium seats and they looked incredible, so I'm leaning towards restoring them.

Hi, where did you get the paint for the Tiger Stadium seats. I’ve had these since 1970’s. They are wearing more every year. I was considering restoring these seats. Thanks Joe

icollectDCsports 05-29-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Atkatz (Post 2108212)
The previous owner removed the newest coat of original paint. The green that appears now is also original.
My vote? Leave it alone. It's only original once.

Agree.

doug.goodman 05-29-2021 06:59 PM

As is

My vote would be to leave them alone.

karamaxjoe 05-29-2021 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmtiger (Post 2108268)
Hi, where did you get the paint for the Tiger Stadium seats. I’ve had these since 1970’s. They are wearing more every year. I was considering restoring these seats. Thanks Joe

I did the Tiger seats over 20 years ago and bought the paint from a dealer named Mike Seitz. I don't believe he is in the hobby anymore.

edtiques 05-29-2021 10:45 PM

I'd leave them just like they are. Just my opinion.

khkco4bls 05-30-2021 06:05 AM

Please don't touch them

Bpm0014 05-31-2021 07:21 AM

100% I’d restore. They are not worn from age. They were stripped of their paint. Even a quick layer of paint would look better.

bigfanNY 06-01-2021 04:33 AM

First I agree they look great now. But restore them and they will be protected and look great when your grandkids are your age. Jmho
Jonathan

Bobmc 06-01-2021 12:36 PM

Wonderful seats Mike!
If you do decide to restore, why not in the '60s blue ? That'd be cool. We don't see those too often.

Go SOX

Bob

karamaxjoe 06-03-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobmc (Post 2109138)
Wonderful seats Mike!
If you do decide to restore, why not in the '60s blue ? That'd be cool. We don't see those too often.

Go SOX

Bob

Hey Bob, I can't say I've ever seen a blue Comiskey Park seat in someone's collection. That would be awfully rare. I'm not that confidant I could match that paint color.

The consensus here seems to be to leave the seats alone. Thank you all for your opinions and I respect everyone's view. I'll most likely restore them since it can be a labor of love to do it. Again, thank you all.

chlankf 06-03-2021 05:22 PM

Restore 1/2 and leave the other seat aged.