Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New member intro - Hello everyone! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=303014)

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-03-2021 05:33 AM

New member intro - Hello everyone!

5 Attachment(s)
Funny story.....

I found this site by complete accident while searching for "does PSA authenticate fake cards" on google. I've always had my doubts about PSA and my research led me to this wonderful oasis. I've been thankful for finding you all for several reasons, but the most important reason is probably my sanity. Short back story.....

I was forced into early retirement earlier this year by my company of 31 years. Thanks to this and my newly found free time, I decided to pull out my lil ol' collection sometime around the end of January. As my research led me further and further down the collectors rabbit hole, I thankfully arrived here.

Fast forward a few months, and I must say, this is the most wonderful group of random people I have ever "met" and I've only been here a short time!!!!! Please accept my apologies for not introducing myself sooner, I was admittedly a kid in a candy store when I first arrived.

I haven't sold any thing but have made several purchases already. Everyone has been beyond fantastic and one transaction in particular caused me to finally step up and introduce myself because I wanted to please share.

I am a HUGE cubs fan and I would like to please thank one of the more tenured members on this forum that I was fortunate enough to encounter, quinnsryche
The Cubs programs I purchased "really tied the room together man" lol

I suppose I have rambled on long enough, but I did want to offer up a sincere thank you for allowing me to join and I hope to pull up a chair and stay awhile as they say down here in the south.

Best regards and pics attached.....
Mike

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-03-2021 05:35 AM

Oh......I painted that room myself, took forever and a day lol

Leon 06-03-2021 05:52 AM

Nice story, Mike. Nice room too.
There are thousands of good folks on this forum. And a whole lot of them will help you., This isn't like a social media platform. It's a little tighter knit community. But with around 12000 members you still need to be cautious. Good luck in your collecting pursuits!

rjackson44 06-03-2021 06:03 AM

Welcome mike octavio

cubman1941 06-03-2021 06:10 AM

From one Cubs guy to another, welcome to Net54. You will find an infinite set of knowledgeable people in all forums. I have found them extremely great in the sharing of their knowledge.

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-03-2021 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2109717)
Nice story, Mike. Nice room too.
There are thousands of good folks on this forum. And a whole lot of them will help you., This isn't like a social media platform. It's a little tighter knit community. But with around 12000 members you still need to be cautious. Good luck in your collecting pursuits!

Thanks, just happy to be on the team coach! (kidding)

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-03-2021 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 2109720)
Welcome mike octavio

Thank you Octavio!

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 06-03-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubman1941 (Post 2109721)
From one Cubs guy to another, welcome to Net54. You will find an infinite set of knowledgeable people in all forums. I have found them extremely great in the sharing of their knowledge.

Thanks! If I may say (with regards to this season so far)....its been fun, with a side order of unexpected. I know this is our last hoo-rah with contracts coming up, so hopefully we can keep it up over 162 and get hot at the end?

Swami prediction of the year........ Cubs over the Padres in 6 for the NLCS, we lose in 7 to Tampa ;)

and yes I have taken my meds today (kidding)

DaveW 06-03-2021 08:02 AM

Welcome aboard Mike! The Cubs programs are great but I’m really impressed by the paint job! You must have tremendous patience (and/or tons of painters tape) to get the pinstripes looking so good.

Jason 06-03-2021 08:06 AM

Welcome to the forum. Very cool room!

cubman1941 06-03-2021 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey (Post 2109746)
Thanks! If I may say (with regards to this season so far)....its been fun, with a side order of unexpected. I know this is our last hoo-rah with contracts coming up, so hopefully we can keep it up over 162 and get hot at the end?

Swami prediction of the year........ Cubs over the Padres in 6 for the NLCS, we lose in 7 to Tampa ;)

and yes I have taken my meds today (kidding)

I am still concerned about the starting pitching. The bull pen has been lights out but I wonder if that can last the entire year. As an old, old Cubs guy I have seen too many May, June, July, beginning of August and the swoons!!! If you have any Cubs needs holler at me. In addition, as I found out, there are many people on this site that will be glad to help you out.

hcv123 06-03-2021 09:33 AM

That's incredible!

The paint job!! I have done much more simple room painting and appreciate what is involved - I can't imagine attacking the paint job in your room!
The collection is nice too. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Net 54!

BobbyStrawberry 06-03-2021 12:24 PM

Welcome!

Seven 06-03-2021 01:17 PM

Welcome Mike,

You'll find all sorts of collectors here, ranging from various ages and walks of life. I must say it's probably one of the most generous and knowledgeable boards I have ever been a part of. There are some great people here.

Fantastic Job with the room, I might have to call you up if I ever want my Walls to be done in Yankee Pinstripes :D

One 'ol Cat 06-03-2021 01:38 PM

Welcome aboard. I, for one, will not hold the fact that you are a Cubs fan against you...

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 07-01-2021 03:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 2109795)
The paint job!! I have done much more simple room painting and appreciate what is involved - I can't imagine attacking the paint job in your room!
The collection is nice too. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to Net 54!

Funny story about the paint job and new pics......

I went to a out of town conference many years ago and was told by my lovely wife she was going to surprise me with a new paint job to my room. I helped pick out this scheme and showed her how to paint interiors (she had never done it before) then left out of town for like 5 days.

Came back, she had done 3 of 4 walls solid color, which was kinda sorta the plan and they looked........ok.

But this main wall, she wouldn't touch it lol, knew I was too picky and was unsure of how to really "lay it out". So I painted it, took like 2or 3 days, but pretty happy with how it turned out. Here's a few updated pix of some additional knick knacks I've picked up.

Also, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and compliments! Finally getting settled down and able more time to spend checking out things things around here!!!

cubman1941 07-01-2021 05:42 PM

Great job of painting the room!! Love the colors and how you have your "knick knacks" displayed.

brianclat11 07-01-2021 05:46 PM

Welcome

Welcome Mike. I have also been a member for a short time and am learning the ropes from a lot of these guys. It is unfortunate you are a Cubs fan ha ha. I am a lifelong Reds fan and have gotten used to taking a beating from the Cubs lately. I live in North Carolina now, but was born in Cincinnati and went to high school near Indianapolis. The Indianapolis area was split between Cubs and Reds fans and cable TV brought in WGN to convert even more.

At some point, I’ll put together an introductory statement like you did. Very well done! And I do love the room and the paint job. Again, welcome to the site.
Maybe will meet up in the future. I do plan on attending the National in Chicago at the end of July and I’m going to go to see the Reds and Cubs play at Wrigley for the first time. Good timing on that one.

Cheers,
Brian

Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey 07-01-2021 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianclat11 (Post 2118998)
Maybe will meet up in the future. I do plan on attending the National in Chicago at the end of July and I’m going to go to see the Reds and Cubs play at Wrigley for the first time.

That's awesome and yeah, maybe.......I hope you enjoy Wrigley, its a blast and if you can, try to get there early and "take it in".

This was the last game I attended in person. May 21 2014 (I shot this from above the Under Armour sign in right center, took me awhile to find this pic lol)

brianclat11 07-02-2021 11:17 AM

Great shot! I will definitely try to get there early and walk around a bit. Thanks for the info.