Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Long Beach Expo Question/Reviews (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=308079)

isiahfan 09-19-2021 11:44 AM

Long Beach Expo Question/Reviews

Sorry as I am cross-posting this since I am not sure of the best place. Have any members been to this and can vouch for it being wort visit>? I would be coming from San Diego so not too far..but also not worth it if I will only spend an hour. There are virtually no shows here (for about 20 years) with vintage. For background...I go to the National each year and enjoy that. Thanks in advance.

Exhibitman 09-19-2021 12:32 PM

In the past there was very little card content there, perhaps a dozen dealers at most, many of whom were well-known eBay and web based dealers, so nothing much to find. Last one I went to I spent more time at lunch than at the show and bought 1 card (1948 Leaf Mize). No idea how the reboot will be but if I get free tickets from PSA again I will make the trip because I am eager to get to any show right now.

isiahfan 09-19-2021 01:04 PM

Free Passes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2146028)
In the past there was very little card content there, perhaps a dozen dealers at most, many of whom were well-known eBay and web based dealers, so nothing much to find. Last one I went to I spent more time at lunch than at the show and bought 1 card (1948 Leaf Mize). No idea how the reboot will be but if I get free tickets from PSA again I will make the trip because I am eager to get to any show right now.

Thanks...Maybe I will sit this one out and wait for reviews. FYI I got free passes online...simple to get from their site.

pclpads 09-19-2021 02:51 PM

I'm in your area too. You couldn't pay me to drive up to sewer-like LB, even if PSA was doing free grading and giving away free cards. Two hours up the 405, then either the 710 or 110, through gang-banging hoods and pray you don't have car troubles. Uh, no thanks!

ledsters 09-19-2021 02:56 PM

I went many years ago as well. It’s a coin show with a spattering of card dealers. I believe they had Bob Lemon signing for free and they were announcing over the loud speaker that if you wanted an autograph, there was no waiting. Sad show for cards. Great for coins.

Exhibitman 09-19-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 2146075)
I'm in your area too. You couldn't pay me to drive up to sewer-like LB, even if PSA was doing free grading and giving away free cards. Two hours up the 405, then either the 710 or 110, through gang-banging hoods and pray you don't have car troubles. Uh, no thanks!

Nah, I go to court down there now and again. Just go early--the serious hoodlums are still asleep. Seriously, though, the convention center and surrounds are perfectly nice and hospitable. I would not worry about that. It is just a bitch of a trip to get there for very little reward unless you collect coins.

Vegas Cards 09-19-2021 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2146121)
Nah, I go to court down there now and again. Just go early--the serious hoodlums are still asleep. Seriously, though, the convention center and surrounds are perfectly nice and hospitable. I would not worry about that. It is just a bitch of a trip to get there for very little reward unless you collect coins.

I'm going to go and try to pick up a couple of coins. I'll check out the card dealers too, but I'm not expecting much.

isiahfan 09-19-2021 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas Cards (Post 2146162)
I'm going to go and try to pick up a couple of coins. I'll check out the card dealers too, but I'm not expecting much.

Thanks. Look forward to your review,

Does Vegas do any decent shows...I think a lot of the California guys would happily head there for a weekend...same goes for an OC show. I know SF has some decent shows but I have little interest to head up there and the cost would negate any deals I find most likely.

parkplace33 09-20-2021 07:31 AM

I am thinking of submitting for on site PSA grading at the show. What are the details?

isiahfan 09-20-2021 01:53 PM

Lbe

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2146274)
I am thinking of submitting for on site PSA grading at the show. What are the details?

https://www.longbeachexpo.com/

CardPadre 09-30-2021 02:24 PM

Was at the expo this morning. Better vintage selection than all of the San Diego/Temecula shows combined...by far. Lots of raw/graded vintage on display and lots of vintage in binders and stacks of card savers to go through, if you like that kind of browsing. One guy had a case of raw T-cards. Probably 12-15 dealers in all (should have counted).

The overwhelming majority of the show is coins/currency of course, but was something to do and a much better variety than anything you'll see in or around SD.

isiahfan 09-30-2021 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardPadre (Post 2149629)
Was at the expo this morning. Better vintage selection than all of the San Diego/Temecula shows combined...by far. Lots of raw/graded vintage on display and lots of vintage in binders and stacks of card savers to go through, if you like that kind of browsing. One guy had a case of raw T-cards. Probably 12-15 dealers in all (should have counted).

The overwhelming majority of the show is coins/currency of course, but was something to do and a much better variety than anything you'll see in or around SD.

Appreciate it. I will try the next show as I am booked the rest of the weekend.

Michael B 09-30-2021 10:46 PM

When you go remember to check out the City of Long Beach website for the public parking lots. There are a couple of them on Long Beach Blvd at Broadway about 2-3 blocks from Ocean Blvd. You self pay and I believe it was around $5 when I was there for the World Olympic Collectors Fair a few years ago. It seemed pretty safe and the parking is for 24 hours. I handed off my receipt to a couple of girls who were going bar hopping. Saved them a few dollars.

ggary 10-01-2021 10:30 AM

FYI, in order to enter the convention center you must show proof of COVID vaccination (CDC card or photo of one on your phone) or a recent negative test result (there is a testing truck parked within a couple hundred feet from the entrance).

Sat down next to a couple of people that had to wait outside until their wives at home sent them a photo of their vaccination card.

chadeast 10-01-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggary (Post 2149832)
FYI, in order to enter the convention center you must show proof of COVID vaccination (CDC card or photo of one on your phone) or a recent negative test result (there is a testing truck parked within a couple hundred feet from the entrance).

Sat down next to a couple of people that had to wait outside until their wives at home sent them a photo of their vaccination card.

Do you happen to know what is required of children under 12 yrs of age? Thanks

isiahfan 02-20-2022 06:04 PM

Anyone go this weekend?