Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Net54 Four Team Trade (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=313955)

KMayUSA6060 01-21-2022 04:25 PM

Net54 Four Team Trade

In an era of collecting where cash is king, new trading stories are few and far between. So I figured I'd share mine...

I posted on here about the Standard Biscuit set (and the other "family" sets related to the E135 set) last week, and specifically mentioned Grover Hartley. A little while later, I get a PM from a gentleman stating that he has a 1917 D350-2 Standard Biscuit Grover Hartley he would move, but only in a trade for another D350-2 (he wouldn't outright sell it) in good condition. So I was now on the hunt for another D350-2 (it's not like the set is scarce or anything - easy chase, right?). A few hours later, I found one, but... the gentleman wouldn't sell it either; he'd only trade it for a 1916 D350-1 or a 1921 D350-3. Off to find one of those, cause they can't be hard either, right? Sure enough, Brian Van Horn had a 1921 D350-3 posted in one of his previous monthly sales threads that fit the criteria (set & condition wise). I contacted him to see if he still had it, and sure enough he did (along with the Universal Toy Tris Speaker and other HoFers I got the other day). I went back to the Hartley fella and told him I've got a trade planned out to get him what he needs for his Hartley. Done deal.

So in synopsis...

Hartley D350-2 Guy Receives D350-2
Non-Hartley D350-2 Guy Receives D350-3
Brian Van Horn Receives Cash Considerations
I Receive a 1917 D350-2 Standard Biscuit Grover Hartley

This leaves just Weil Baking (1 known to exist) and a T207 Anonymous Back Factory 25 (I have the Factory 3) to complete the entire player run for Grover Hartley (unless a Merchant's Bakery is discovered).

I don't know if the unnamed parties want to be known publicly, but they know who they are, and I would like to thank all 3 involved immensely for making this possible. This is quite the unicorn card, quite the opportunity to obtain such a card, and quite the trade to make it happen.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Ww&oe=61EFBA78
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...Sg&oe=61F06B7B

CobbSpikedMe 01-21-2022 04:49 PM

Very cool trade and I'm glad you ended up with the Hartley in the end. That's awesome. How is your HOF project coming along by the way?

h2oya311 01-21-2022 04:50 PM

awesome Kyle! Nicely done!

GasHouseGang 01-21-2022 05:16 PM

It reminds me of the M*A*S*H* episode where Hawkeye attempts to make multiple trades of favors or goods all around camp just to get a new pair of army boots. I'm glad it all worked out for you. :D

brianp-beme 01-21-2022 05:26 PM

That D350-2 Hartley found its rightful home, and impressive trade gymnastics to pull it all off...congrats!

Brian

Exhibitman 01-22-2022 09:10 AM

Lakers need to sign you to manage their salary cap...

mrreality68 01-22-2022 09:23 AM

Wow that is a lot of work and coordination to get it done.

Congrats on the efforts and results.

and best part is that all the collectors end up winning

jingram058 01-22-2022 09:33 AM

Congratulations...for myself, I think trading is how to get it done these days. Last time I did it, it was done in person at 3 Pepper Burrito. Had a nice lunch, and everyone looked at us like we were nuts, with blacklight flashlight, going back and forth to the men's room, jeweler's loupes, and baseball cards all over the table. It was great fun, and each of us walked away happy.

Yoda 01-22-2022 09:39 AM

A story like this underscores how challenging the hobby is when looking for a rare card of a lesser known player like Hartley, particularly from a set like Standard Biscuit. But that is what makes the chase so much fun and the reward so great when the quest is realized.
Any personal family ties to Hartley?

frankbmd 01-22-2022 09:47 AM

Grover Hartley had an unusual career from 1911-1934.

During his prime years from age 28 to 35, he played double AA ball with Columbus.

At one point the St Louis Browns bought him in a deal that included Bob Groom, Mordecai Brown and Eddie Plank.

He had only 1500 major league at bats in his 24 year playing career.

Sort of reminiscent of another second string catcher named Mo Berg.

KMayUSA6060 01-22-2022 04:13 PM

Thank you to everyone for the kind words! And thank you Brian (whom posted above) for making this whole thing happen. Amazing gesture to be willing to move the Hartley.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2188273)
A story like this underscores how challenging the hobby is when looking for a rare card of a lesser known player like Hartley, particularly from a set like Standard Biscuit. But that is what makes the chase so much fun and the reward so great when the quest is realized.
Any personal family ties to Hartley?

My grandpa (1940) and great uncle (1939) played a season each for the Findlay Oilers, a minor league team (Class D I believe) in the St. Louis Browns system. Grover Hartley was the manager of the team both years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 2188276)
Grover Hartley had an unusual career from 1911-1934.

During his prime years from age 28 to 35, he played double AA ball with Columbus.

At one point the St Louis Browns bought him in a deal that included Bob Groom, Mordecai Brown and Eddie Plank.

He had only 1500 major league at bats in his 24 year playing career.

Sort of reminiscent of another second string catcher named Mo Berg.

I had no idea about the trade he was involved in. Those are some big names! His career was unusual, but fascinating. The list of players/personnel he was surrounded by throughout his career is quite incredible. Jim Thorpe, Christy Mathewson, Rube Marquard, John McGraw, Roger Bresnahan, etc. I wish my grandpa were still alive, because I didn't get into Pre War until after his death. I have so many questions I want to ask him. Imagine the stories Grover Hartley told him and the team.

todeen 01-22-2022 04:19 PM

Wow! I couldn't find a trade partner to move my new Corbin Burnes /5. I just wanted a neat playing days Barry Larkin card. Congrats to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk