Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ebay user cbcardss3 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=316983)

drazz5 03-21-2022 02:08 PM

Ebay user cbcardss3

Does anyone have any experience with this seller or know if he is a member on Net54? I recently purchased a Jeff Sweeney t206 card from him. It was graded 4(MC), but the photo was very clear and it was evident the card and holder were in great shape.

It was listed for $100 BIN, but the MC qualifier made me hold off, so I resorted to watching it to see if there was any subsequent price reduction. Fast forward a weeks, and I received an offer in my inbox for $80. I quickly accepted and was excited that I had gotten a cheap price for a sharp looking card (albeit with a qualifier).

A week goes by, and the seller notifies me today that the order was cancelled because, "Would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused but we cancelled the purchase of the T206 Jeff Sweeney card as we found it was damaged and would was not as described in the listing. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused."

Am I out of line to find this hard to believe? A little skeptical because I felt like I got a good deal. Any input on how to handle ebay cancellations would be appreciated.

JollyElm 03-21-2022 03:39 PM

It would seem that someone else offered him more money for the card and he took it, leaving you in the cold. Might not be the case, as I don't know the seller, but when this scenario unfolds, it is usually (95% of the time) for that reason.

Jim65 03-21-2022 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2207733)
It would seem that someone else offered him more money for the card and he took it, leaving you in the cold. Might not be the case, as I don't know the seller, but when this scenario unfolds, it is usually (95% of the time) for that reason.

Agree. Leave appropriate feedback and move on :)

Jim65 03-21-2022 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drazz5 (Post 2207702)
Does anyone have any experience with this seller or know if he is a member on Net54? I recently purchased a Jeff Sweeney t206 card from him. It was graded 4(MC), but the photo was very clear and it was evident the card and holder were in great shape.

It was listed for $100 BIN, but the MC qualifier made me hold off, so I resorted to watching it to see if there was any subsequent price reduction. Fast forward a weeks, and I received an offer in my inbox for $80. I quickly accepted and was excited that I had gotten a cheap price for a sharp looking card (albeit with a qualifier).

A week goes by, and the seller notifies me today that the order was cancelled because, "Would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused but we cancelled the purchase of the T206 Jeff Sweeney card as we found it was damaged and would was not as described in the listing. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience caused."

Am I out of line to find this hard to believe? A little skeptical because I felt like I got a good deal. Any input on how to handle ebay cancellations would be appreciated.

Call his bluff. You could tell him that you might still be interested and can he send a photo of the damage?

drazz5 03-21-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2207739)
Agree. Leave appropriate feedback and move on :)

Agree with both sentiments. The unfortunate thing is, unless I am missing something, I don’t believe I am able to leave feedback on an order that has already been cancelled/refunded.

drazz5 03-21-2022 10:20 PM

The plot thickens. I asked what damage occurred, to which he replied, “I did something stupid. I was going to put a small box with it in my car and set down on my driveway. Forgot about and later backed over it.”

This seems so egregiously not believable that I feel I have to call his bluff and offer to see/still buy the card. Stay tuned.

Stampsfan 03-22-2022 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drazz5 (Post 2207857)
The plot thickens. I asked what damage occurred, to which he replied, “I did something stupid. I was going to put a small box with it in my car and set down on my driveway. Forgot about and later backed over it.”

This seems so egregiously not believable that I feel I have to call his bluff and offer to see/still buy the card. Stay tuned.

Or his dog ate it.

Jim65 03-22-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drazz5 (Post 2207856)
Agree with both sentiments. The unfortunate thing is, unless I am missing something, I don’t believe I am able to leave feedback on an order that has already been cancelled/refunded.

You can, if the order isn't in your purchase history, go to your feedback page and click on "leave feedback" the transaction should be there.

mrreality68 03-22-2022 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampsfan (Post 2207867)
Or his dog ate it.

wow. that is funny and could not even come back with a better excuse

JollyElm 03-22-2022 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drazz5 (Post 2207857)

The bigger the lie, the more people will believe it.

drazz5 03-22-2022 03:37 PM

Update

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to call his bluff. I asked to see pictures of the damage and said that depending on how bad it was I might still be interested. His response was this:

"Unfortunately it was destroyed. I through it away. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience."

I mean, I find it pretty insulting that he thinks I would believe this. Not sure what else can be done considering I havent even found a way to leave negative feedback. So irritating. Anyways, hope you all at least got a kick out of this if nothing else. Attaching a photo of the conversation for full effect.

Attachment 508275

todeen 03-22-2022 05:03 PM

I think I've read on a Facebook group, or Twitterverse, that ebay got hacked and a bunch of "sellers" are listing fake sales that don't exist. It's just as likely that a troll is trying to raise hell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Michael B 03-22-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by todeen (Post 2208034)
I think I've read on a Facebook group, or Twitterverse, that ebay got hacked and a bunch of "sellers" are listing fake sales that don't exist. It's just as likely that a troll is trying to raise hell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Most of those appear to start at $1. In many of their listings one of the images will say something like 'this item is for sale for $... and include an email. The scammers email is info@ebsalx.com if anyone would like to spambomb them.

AustinMike 03-23-2022 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drazz5 (Post 2208010)
I decided to call his bluff. I asked to see pictures of the damage and said that depending on how bad it was I might still be interested. His response was this:

"Unfortunately it was destroyed. I through it away. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience."

I mean, I find it pretty insulting that he thinks I would believe this. Not sure what else can be done considering I havent even found a way to leave negative feedback. So irritating. Anyways, hope you all at least got a kick out of this if nothing else. Attaching a photo of the conversation for full effect.

This has happened to me twice in the last 5 or 6 months with Mantle items. The first one "got coffee spilled on it while packing". I asked for pictures of the stained photo and heard nothing back. The second was "sold on another venue and no longer available". I asked for a link to the sell and heard nothing back. If the seller cancels the sell and refunds your money, the item is closed and you cannot leave feedback. I contacted eBay and notified them about what happened and said I suspected the items were sold off eBay to another buyer to avoid eBay fees. I was thanked, told they would look into it, and also told that the results of their investigation would be private. I checked the sellers out later and they were still on eBay with no apparent negative blowback. I suspect they were given a slap on the wrist at best. It is extremely disappointing that I could not leave the sellers a negative feedback.

Eric72 03-23-2022 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinMike (Post 2208123)

...The first one "got coffee spilled on it while packing"...The second was "sold on another venue and no longer available"...

I don't care for sellers who don't honor their sales agreements. Having said this, I'd much rather they tell me the truth, as the seller likely did in your second example.

The seller with the "coffee" excuse is absolutely pitiful. Either they're flat-out lying to a customer or they're destroying Mantle items with coffee. I'm not sure which is worse.

bobbyw8469 03-23-2022 08:07 AM

As far as excuses go, it is rare, but I have misplaced cards only to never have them turn up again.

bnorth 03-23-2022 08:31 AM

I will give a different view point. It is a eBay transaction for a baseball card that didn't happen. It's eBay anybody can cancel any transaction as a buyer or seller for ANY reason and the other party can't do a damn thing about it.

Why waste time and energy on something that simply doesn't matter. Same goes for leaving negative feedback. Maybe .01% of eBay buyers care about feedback. Weirdly those that really care about it are usually the ones you want to avoid. Not much worse than somebody messaging multiple times because you have not left them useless feedback.

Jewish-collector 03-23-2022 09:50 AM

I can't figure out why the hell everyone worries about a buyer does this or that or a seller does this or that. Sometimes you just gotta say WTF and not worry about it.

Eric72 03-23-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2208162)

...Maybe .01% of eBay buyers care about feedback...

Guess I'm a dinosaur, then. When I see dozens (or hundreds) of negatives, I'll scroll through what others have written.

Let's say, for example, the seller has accumulated dozens of negative reviews regarding careless packaging. I'd probably pass on buying something fragile. Why tie up my money and then go through the time and hassle of documenting/returning something? Easier for me to sidestep that odyssey.

drazz5 03-23-2022 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 2208181)
I can't figure out why the hell everyone worries about a buyer does this or that or a seller does this or that. Sometimes you just gotta say WTF and not worry about it.

I would say I am worried about it because I wanted the card and purchased the card and then did not receive it. That seems to be like a fair reason to be bothered, particularly when the reason seems hard to believe.

I wouldn't call a seller deciding to not sell you an item you already purchased a "this or that" issue.

drazz5 03-23-2022 05:28 PM

Found a way to leave feedback...

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 2207934)
You can, if the order isn't in your purchase history, go to your feedback page and click on "leave feedback" the transaction should be there.

For those of you still interested, Jim's advice on leaving feedback for canceled orders worked. I think I may be a bit slow, since I was a bit confused on what he meant by the feedback page, but if you click on your feedback number (shown below), the transaction will be listed and you will be given an option to "leave feedback".

Attachment 508392

Thanks for the tip Jim! We can finally let this thread die.