Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   BABE RUTH Help: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=320224)

clydepepper 05-26-2022 07:57 PM

BABE RUTH Help:

1 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased this photo from another members and, while we agreed on the possible date range ('31-'33), we don't have a clue about the locale.

Anyone want to make educated guesses at which park this is? Could be some obscure Minor League field, a Spring Training site or even a Barnstorming locale.

Attachment 518383

Jason19th 05-26-2022 08:27 PM

It hard to tell from the image if any of the signs are clearly readable but I would quest at least one of the signs if from a local business. Google the name and it will probably give you a town and then the stadium shouldn’t be hard to find.

dbrown 05-26-2022 08:39 PM

I'll venture a guess -- Griffith Stadium in Washington. Based on what I think is a sign advertising the Capital Garage. Only about 50% confident in the guess, photos I've found resemble it but aren't definitive.

David

Casey2296 05-26-2022 08:52 PM

Looking at the lights, the trees, the batting cage, my guess would be Crescent Lake Field in St Petersburg Fla. post 1931. Nice image.

clydepepper 05-26-2022 08:59 PM

You Guys are AMAZING!

Thanks

Leon 05-31-2022 07:08 PM

That's a nice image...

oldeboo 05-31-2022 10:34 PM

Here is a video from the 1933 World Series.

https://youtu.be/cjv5WRNXJo8

The camera pans the advertising on the wall beginning at the :20 mark. The advertising looks to be a match. The seating in center was added for the World Series. I would feel rather confident your image is from 1933 in Griffith Stadium. Other years have different advertisers or variations of advertisements that existed in 1933. Judging by the foliage on the trees in your photo, I would go with the April 23-25th series between the Yanks and Senators.

Casey2296 06-01-2022 12:27 AM

Well done Trey, winner winner chicken dinner.

mrreality68 06-01-2022 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2230104)
Well done Trey, winner winner chicken dinner.

Wow Trey Simply amazing

nolemmings 06-01-2022 10:25 AM

Excellent work Trey. I would add that the out of town scoreboard shows Phila at Boston in the game at the bottom. Those two teams met in Boston for three games April 23-25. Although those same teams met in Boston the two other times when the Yankees were in DC, those later series were at the very end of May and the very end of July. Given that Babe appears to be wearing sleeves under his uniform, this photo was more likely taken during the cooler weather of April.

oldeboo 06-01-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 2230212)
Excellent work Trey. I would add that the out of town scoreboard shows Phila at Boston in the game at the bottom. Those two teams met in Boston for three games April 23-25. Although those same teams met in Boston the two other times when the Yankees were in DC, those later series were at the very end of May and the very end of July. Given that Babe appears to be wearing sleeves under his uniform, this photo was more likely taken during the cooler weather of April.

+1

I see "PHILA. BOSTON" at the bottom as well. "VISITORS WASH." or more likely "N.YORK WASH." would be at the top. The other two scores, boy I have to squint. :D "CHIGO." "DETROIT" "ST.LOU." "CLEVE." are some of the other options I've seen used at Griffith Stadium.

How cool would it have been to be in those added bleachers during the 1933 World Series? You probably had to walk out onto the field to get to your seats passing all that advertising. You were then right under the American flag and the massive stadium speakers. Your ears were probably ringing by the end of the game. I believe I read the reason for the odd shaped wall was because a homeowner refused to sell his property, so they built around it.

5-Tool Player 06-01-2022 07:31 PM

Great Job Trey

You are simply amazing !