Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Post Your Stupidly Thankfuls... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=327964)

JollyElm 11-23-2022 03:30 PM

Post Your Stupidly Thankfuls...

1 Attachment(s)
Only two simple rules for this day before Thanksgiving thread...

Part 1: We always hear about the 'real' things people are thankful for (health, family, etc.), but post one or two 'stupid' things that you are actually thankful for. Yes, the definition of "stupid" is up to you.

Part 2: Post a card that you are thankful for and explain WHY.

• I am thankful that NFL games out here start at 10:00 in the morning (and 9:30AM on Thanksgiving), as opposed to the traditional 1PM time slot that was part of my DNA. Instead of the dark, freezing, smothering winter skies when games end in New York, out here you are still greeted by all sorts of sunshine once the last whistle blows (here's where a link to The Ramones' version of 'California Sun' should be).

And ramen, I am hugely thankful for recently 'discovering' ramen!! Never had it in college, and have no idea why I was so unfamiliar with this cheap, delicious stuff. Love cooking up a late night bowl and flooding it with hot Chinese mustard. So thankful!!

• I am terribly thankful to have a 1972 Topps Willie Mays #49 card. As a kid I was forever regaled with stories about the man from my father (a sadly reminiscent Brooklyn fan), so just glancing at Willie's semi-smiling face on this piece of cardboard (a card which was the gold standard for my brothers and I when we first started collecting) will forever do my heart good!!

Attachment 543843

JollyElm 11-23-2022 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A graphic representation of how this 'let's have a little fun' thread did...

Attachment 543899

Guess I'll go enjoy some Maruchan.

G1911 11-23-2022 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am thankful for lots of stupid things. I'm thankful some dude figured out that urinating in the river the village drank from was a bad idea. I'm thankful my family shuts up about politics during Thanksgiving dinner. I'm thankful some Silicon Valley nerds figured out this internet thing so we can trade cards easier. I'm thankful for my man Melvil Dewey making my library easy to organize.

I'm thankful I get to live a good life and spend time on silly pieces of cardboard, and that the good lord(s)/sacred idol/grandest poobah/random entropic chance has allowed me and my remaining loved ones to live this long. I'm thankful I snagged this proof panel, of what was for a long time my dream card. It's exciting to scratch off the top item on my waitlist after a decade plus of it being there, but it was more fun to discover an entire block of them representing 66% of all known copies.

Rad_Hazard 11-23-2022 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greg, great panel and I echo your sentiments!

I am stupidly thankful for my growing 19th Century collection. I've had an absolute blast putting this together and researching these players along with many others while putting together my YouTube bios for many of them.

I hope to continue to grow this collection and learn even more about these forgotten heroes of this great game.

G1911 11-23-2022 09:31 PM

It's hard to go wrong with N cards, but the Goodwin Champions Glasscock is one of my absolute favorites. Beautiful artwork.

ejstel 11-24-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyElm (Post 2286632)
Only two simple rules for this day before Thanksgiving thread...

Part 1: We always hear about the 'real' things people are thankful for (health, family, etc.), but post one or two 'stupid' things that you are actually thankful for. Yes, the definition of "stupid" is up to you.

Part 2: Post a card that you are thankful for and explain WHY.

• I am thankful that NFL games out here start at 10:00 in the morning (and 9:30AM on Thanksgiving), as opposed to the traditional 1PM time slot that was part of my DNA. Instead of the dark, freezing, smothering winter skies when games end in New York, out here you are still greeted by all sorts of sunshine once the last whistle blows (here's where a link to The Ramones' version of 'California Sun' should be).

And ramen, I am hugely thankful for recently 'discovering' ramen!! Never had it in college, and have no idea why I was so unfamiliar with this cheap, delicious stuff. Love cooking up a late night bowl and flooding it with hot Chinese mustard. So thankful!!

• I am terribly thankful to have a 1972 Topps Willie Mays #49 card. As a kid I was forever regaled with stories about the man from my father (a sadly reminiscent Brooklyn fan), so just glancing at Willie's semi-smiling face on this piece of cardboard (a card which was the gold standard for my brothers and I when we first started collecting) will forever do my heart good!!

Attachment 543843

Ramem...now that is a lifetime of discovering...like cards. Try the spicy miso (ramen) Ramen..Garlic Ramen (broth) is also rare and unique

Thankful for: sports colllectors ahead of me who kept cards from the 30-50-50-60's pristine. Sometimes it is just hard to believe they made it this far in such good conditions. My neighbors were a bit older in the 1970's..they kept theirs in a trash bag? Whut?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

cesarcap 11-26-2022 02:26 PM

I'm thankful for my Big Green Egg, which my friends gave me during covid. It was a bribe so to speak: they invited themselves and their kids (13 in total) over to our beach house for a long weekend. But I now use the egg almost every weekend possible to smoke or cook. It's awesome and got another one for the main house. (I need someone to gift me running sneakers to exercise....)

As for for cards: I'm thankful for the 1975 topps baseball cards. That was the first year I got into cards and the sport. Played everyday of the summer (think sand lot) and watched as many games as I could. I only have a few from that summer (was 9 yrs old) which somehow were saved by my parents but have a full set, a full mini set and about 250 autographed cards (which I've collected as an adult). I can't post pictures of them now as I'm away but some of my favorite ones include: Mays/Berra 54 MVP card, Seaver, Ryan, Reggie. I also have many of the Reds and Red Sox since it was such an impressional WS.

Exhibitman 11-26-2022 10:44 PM

Stupid thankful: gluten-free burrito wrappers. Saw them at the market the other day. Our house is gluten-free. I had a burrito for breakfast this morning and it was wonderful.

Card thankful:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...-Alexander.jpg

1920 Universal Toy & Novelty Ruth-Johnson-Sisler-Coveleski. I cannot believe I own a Ruth this rare and early.