Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Judge $ 57,471.26 per At-Bat (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=328651)

insidethewrapper 12-07-2022 04:58 PM

Judge $ 57,471.26 per At-Bat

With Aaron Judge's $ 40 million /year contract and based on last year's 696 Plate Appearances, he will make $ 57,471.26 per time at bat !!!! That's more than most Americans make in a year , with only 1 plate appearance.

brianp-beme 12-07-2022 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2291286)
With Aaron Judge's $ 40 million /year contract and based on last year's 696 Plate Appearances, he will make $ 57,471.26 per time at bat !!!! That's more than most Americans make in a year , with only 1 plate appearance.

We should come up with a list of vintage cards that should be available at the Judge Per At Bat (JPaB) amount. Then we could sit back, close our eyes, and imagine that if we were Aaron, even when going 0 for 5 with 5 strikeouts, we could purchase a handful of these cards after every game.

Brian

Brian Van Horn 12-07-2022 05:14 PM

Waiting on the news in years to come. Some will be positive. Some will be negative. Will this be a disaster? Probably.

BobbyStrawberry 12-07-2022 05:15 PM

Quote:

Nice work if you can get it!

mrreality68 12-07-2022 05:33 PM

He deserves it as the face of the Yankees and his performance. There are many making obscenely amounts and their per at bat or per game start numbers are thru the Roof and not earning it

Wanaselja 12-07-2022 05:49 PM

Think about how much the guy that writes those checks makes. He should get as much as he can.

bmattioli 12-07-2022 06:00 PM

No Yanks WS Series crowns since 2009.. lets keep it that way..

Wanaselja 12-07-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmattioli (Post 2291316)
no yanks ws series crowns since 2009.. Lets keep it that way..

yesssss!

1952boyntoncollector 12-07-2022 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn (Post 2291294)
Waiting on the news in years to come. Some will be positive. Some will be negative. Will this be a disaster? Probably.

right but if yankees dont sign him...then all their fans complain and the media as to how they let him get away...funny they lose either way..

baseball is funny..braves won the world series even though 2nd half of year and playoffs their best player Acuna was hurt....

teams know they will lose money in baseball though...its about who can afford to lose the most...

Peter_Spaeth 12-07-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

I would bet a lot he won't match those plate appearances, so his rate per will be even higher.

Fred 12-07-2022 06:20 PM

Keep in mind that the 696 PAs this past season was the most he's ever had in single season. In 5 of his most active seasons he has averaged 593 PAs per season.

Good for Judge! If the Yankees want to guarantee him $360M, then let's hope they get their money's worth.

You know what they say about players of his stature/size. They usually don't last much past their age 35-36 season (if that long). Sounds like they're actually paying Judge $80M a season for 4-5 more good years and the rest is just going to be icing on the cake as he takes a roster spot for the years after that. I really hope he can remain productive after his age 35-36 seasons.

1952boyntoncollector 12-07-2022 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2291328)
Keep in mind that the 696 PAs this past season was the most he's ever had in single season. In 5 of his most active seasons he has averaged 593 PAs per season.

Good for Judge! If the Yankees want to guarantee him $360M, then let's hope they get their money's worth.

You know what they say about players of his stature/size. They usually don't last much past their age 35-36 season (if that long). Sounds like they're actually paying Judge $80M a season for 4-5 more good years and the rest is just going to be icing on the cake as he takes a roster spot for the years after that. I really hope he can remain productive after his age 35-36 seasons.

'

he will end up being on another team at that point chasing milestones.. in 1 year deals..

sycks22 12-07-2022 06:37 PM

Good for him

Eric72 12-07-2022 06:38 PM

So, can I pinch hit for him and get $57,471.26?

Just once.

Please?

As for cards, I'll start the JPaB fun:

1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle in VG condition.

Popcorn 12-07-2022 07:28 PM

almost a psa 3 52 mantle per ab lol not bad

JollyElm 12-07-2022 08:12 PM

Bobby Bonilla

raulus 12-07-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Tax man will reduce that down to closer to $25k per AB (it's a hard knock life!). Although considering his actual AB total over the contract will probably be half of this projection, then $50k per AB after tax is a good guess.

JollyElm 12-07-2022 08:58 PM

And we know damn well who is going to be footing this per at-bat bill. Hope every Bronx Bomber fan wins LOTTO, so you guys can afford to go to The Stadium to catch a game, or be able to pay for your subscription to watch them on TV.

Rad_Hazard 12-07-2022 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow!

In contrast, adjusting for inflation, Dan Brouthers (the greatest hitter of the 19th century), with a known salary of $4,700 in 1889, made in 2022 dollars....

$313.91 per AB

I'd take Big Dan over Judge any day of the week!

Eric72 12-07-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard (Post 2291368)
Wow!

In contrast, adjusting for inflation, Dan Brouthers (the greatest hitter of the 19th century), with a known salary of $4,700 in 1889, made in 2022 dollars....

$313.91 per AB

I'd take Big Dan over Judge any day of the week!

Pffft...Dan only hit 7 home runs, though. And his wgasWAR was less than Judge's 3.69 year peak, adjusted for ball park, time zone, and air quality.

So, there.

(yes, I'm kidding...just in case anyone wasn't 100% sure)

insidethewrapper 12-07-2022 09:46 PM

You know what happened after Maris hit 61 HR's ! Never got close again. Never could live up to that season and the NY fans let him know that daily, after every strikeout.

What gets me the most is that many of these players expect fans to return balls to them without any money trading hands. I'll "give them a signature" etc. I think they should bid in an auction just like the rest of us. It wouldn't even make a dent in their wallet.

Peter_Spaeth 12-07-2022 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 2291377)
You know what happened after Maris hit 61 HR's ! Never got close again. Never could live up to that season and the NY fans let him know that daily, after every strikeout.

What gets me the most is that many of these players expect fans to return balls to them without any money trading hands. I'll "give them a signature" etc. I think they should bid in an auction just like the rest of us. It wouldn't even make a dent in their wallet.

And the signature, more likely than not, would be an unrecognizable chicken scratch.

cardsagain74 12-07-2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Maris's season was a total aberration though, while Judge has been hitting homers at a very high rate his whole career.

That being said, who knows if the pressure will get to him. Going to be very interesting to see in upcoming years

Peter_Spaeth 12-07-2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsagain74 (Post 2291379)
Maris's season was a total aberration though, while Judge has been hitting homers at a very high rate his whole career.

That being said, who knows if the pressure will get to him. Going to be very interesting to see in upcoming years

Maris had 39HR in 100 less at bats in 1960, so not a total aberration.

jingram058 12-08-2022 10:28 AM

I am not much on this modern day era of baseball, with these colossal salaries, numerous rule changes, etc. But that said, I am glad the Yankees were able to keep Judge. He has become the face of the team. The Judge's Chambers. MVP. Athlete of the Year. All-time single season AL home run king. A household name. Players and fans all say he's a great guy. That's throwback stuff that is great not just for himself and the Yankees but all of baseball. Only thing not in his resume is a World Series championship. We'll see...

packs 12-08-2022 11:31 AM

Even if Judge is only good for the first 5 or 6 years of his contract I don't think it will rub anyone the wrong way if there's a championship. Jeter was pretty mediocre to bad at the end of his career. Over his final 5 seasons he had an OPS+ of 94 and made over 80 million dollars in that time. I don't remember anyone complaining about his salary though.

kmac32 12-08-2022 11:49 AM

That’s an obscene amount of money. Veterinarians make the amount of money for 2 at bats and we have an education. Part of what is wrong with America in my opinion.

brianp-beme 12-08-2022 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JPaB (Judge Per at Bat) could also be the new way we can discuss the value of a vintage card on this site. Sure, it will involve a calculator, but calculator usage is fun!

Here is an example of JPaB in action. Let's say the below T205 Snodgrass has a street value of 40. Street value, as everyone knows, being the equivalent of how many items that can be purchased at the dollar store for that amount of cash in dollars. On here we would take that 40 street value, divide it by 57,471.26 (sure, a slightly ungainly number, but after a while when this scheme catches on, this number will stick in your brain like some horrendous but catchy pop song), and the resulting number will be the card's JPaB value, which in this case would be a .000696 JPaB.

Brian (to turn this into a T205 Snodgrass thread, let's see your T205 Snodgrass cards and their accompanying JPaB values, whether higher or lower!)

cardsagain74 12-08-2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmac32 (Post 2291538)
That’s an obscene amount of money. Veterinarians make the amount of money for 2 at bats and we have an education. Part of what is wrong with America in my opinion.

"America"? It can happen anywhere in the world. The top futbol superstars make the same amounts.

That's obviously how economics work in societies with capitalist characteristics. You often get paid relative to the money you produce for a business (instead of your value to society).

It may not seem fair, but every scientist, veterinarian, and so on knows that score before they've chosen their career path. The petty jealousy of taking digs at a top athlete's education isn't exactly a good response to it.

packs 12-08-2022 01:18 PM

Judge will generate enough money to cover his contract, that's why the Yankees were open to paying him what they are. If there was a veterinarian who generated more than 40 million dollars a year they would be justified in asking for the same salary. Athletes aren't paid relative to what other professions are paid and they're not paid relative to education costs either. They're paid a salary in line with how they're valued by the team signing them.

G1911 12-08-2022 01:47 PM

Having an education doesn’t produce revenue to a company to pay one for. Using that education as a vet produces some revenue to a company to pay for. Nowhere near as much as setting home run records and getting millions of people to tune in. Salary is a combination of perceived value to the employer and ones ability to negotiate, leverage and shape said perception. Which Judge did fantastic at.

A2000 12-08-2022 03:24 PM

37 year old Cristiano Ronaldo is signing with a Saudi soccer/futbol league for $200 million+ a year. Judge is getting $50k for each at bat? Good for each of them.

Absolutely nothing wrong with super star athletes accepting quarter billion dollar deals a club offers them, and in Judge's case, it looks like the Padres and Giants each offered him similar if not even more money.

jingram058 12-08-2022 03:25 PM

Taking a cursory look at eBay completed items searching 2013 Aaron Judge Panini auto reveals that this card (several different varieties) peaked toward the end of the season when the home run chase was on. Since, many of these have completed with no bids or buy it nows, and most of those that sold have actually come down from the peak. I guess that's how it goes with these things.

jingram058 12-08-2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G1911 (Post 2291587)
Having an education doesn’t produce revenue to a company to pay one for. Using that education as a vet produces some revenue to a company to pay for. Nowhere near as much as setting home run records and getting millions of people to tune in. Salary is a combination of perceived value to the employer and ones ability to negotiate, leverage and shape said perception. Which Judge did fantastic at.

+1 on that.

raulus 12-08-2022 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by A2000 (Post 2291643)
37 year old Cristiano Ronaldo is signing with a Saudi soccer/futbol league for $200 million+ a year. Judge is getting $50k for each at bat? Good for each of them.

Absolutely nothing wrong with super star athletes accepting quarter billion dollar deals a club offers them, and in Judge's case, it looks like the Padres and Giants each offered him similar if not even more money.

Better get some more reps in...

sfmays24 12-08-2022 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As a longtime SF Giants Season Ticket Holder, thank you NY!

Bigdaddy 12-08-2022 07:36 PM

How many other people in the world today can do what Judge did this year? When you have no peers, it's hard to measure one's value.

Would it be better if the Yankees ownership kept the money?

That is a crazy amount of scratch though.

pokerplyr80 12-08-2022 08:37 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure they expect the return as much as they hope for it. If someone decides to trade in a $500k ball or whatever the value for some signed items, a meet and great, and perhaps some tickets that's up to them. I probably wouldn't. But it's understandable how a fan could get caught up in the excitement, get to meet their hero, and get a bunch of cool stuff just for handing over a baseball would make that decision.