Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Brent Rooker - The Best Hitter in Baseball? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=335012)

gonefishin 05-05-2023 12:32 PM

Brent Rooker - The Best Hitter in Baseball?

Has anyone been watching Brent Rooker this year? After stints with the Twins, Padres, Royals, and finally the Athletics - Rooker is on fire. I've been following him for several years and always thought he would do great because of his performance in the SEC (Triple Crown, SEC Player of the Year, National Collegiate Player of the Year, etc.).

The Twins, as they often do, abandoned and gave up on him, trading him to Padres who didn't give him a chance. Then from the Padres to Royals where he was given zero opportunities. From the Royals he was picked up by Oakland. I think for lack of talent, they gave Rooker a chance. All he ever needed was a little stability and opportunity to play for longer than 1 game at a time.

Where is he now? Probably the best hitter in baseball. As of today he is 14th in batting average hitting .316, 5th in Home Runs with 9, 22 RBI's tied for 21st, and first in OPA with a 1.112.

At an athletic 6'4, weighing in at 225, and all the power in the world, if he stays healthy and gets playing time, he is destined to be a star in the majors.

Any thoughts on Brent Rooker? The Twins also have another talented prospect in Royce Lewis that has been troubled with injuries. I'm wondering when then Twins will give up on him also and trade him somewhere else where he will become a super star.

todeen 05-05-2023 01:37 PM

I read the Athletic a day or two ago, and MLB execs were polled for various questions. Rooker landed #1 or #2 for whatever category he was in. Whoever they anonymously interviewed said, "Rooker is a nice surprise because no one saw it coming."

My argument is that very few execs or coaches are willing to change their round scheme when they receive a square peg. They have no imagination. Tim Tebow and other quarterbacks stands out to me, but this exists in baseball too. Tim Tebow was successful when he had a coach who built a scheme around him. When he went to a team that said, we need you to fit our model he floundered. Back to baseball, Like where is the old school leadoff hitter like Ichiro? Hits for average player who can steal bases. I know they haven't gone extinct. It's the three true outcomes that have left them playing in AAA or washes them out of the league.

I think Rickey Henderson would not be a HOF player today.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

Peter_Spaeth 05-05-2023 02:22 PM

Well, he's 28 years old with 73 career hits and a .229 career average, so he has a lot of catching up to do.

gonefishin 05-05-2023 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2337627)
Well, he's 28 years old with 73 career hits and a .229 career average, so he has a lot of catching up to do.

I agree totally Peter. There is a selfish reason for me. I rarely, rarely, prospect on new players. However, I thought with Rooker it was a sure thing so I purchased several of his cards. He didn't work out with the Twins and was traded to the Padres - I kept the faith and purchased more of his cards. He was traded to the Royals - I kept the faith and purchased more of his cards. He was let go from the Royals - I was really second guessing my decision - however, I kept buying his cards. The Athletics picked him up. I thought it was over and ready to dump what I had purchased and maybe recoup 5-10% of what I invested.

I have my fingers crossed that he continues! I would hate to sell all my 1/1 for $1!!!!

Peter_Spaeth 05-05-2023 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2337632)
I agree totally Peter. There is a selfish reason for me. I rarely, rarely, prospect on new players. However, I thought with Rooker it was a sure thing so I purchased several of his cards. He didn't work out with the Twins and was traded to the Padres - I kept the faith and purchased more of his cards. He was traded to the Royals - I kept the faith and purchased more of his cards. He was let go from the Royals - I was really second guessing my decision - however, I kept buying his cards. The Athletics picked him up. I thought it was over and ready to dump what I had purchased and maybe recoup 5-10% of what I invested.

I have my fingers crossed that he continues! I would hate to sell all my 1/1 for $1!!!!

Well good luck, but I am pretty confident in saying he is not the best hitter in baseball, not even close. At 28 I doubt he's destined to be a star either. He's more likely a guy who's just having a hot month. Think Cody Bellinger, and he had a much better track record.

gonefishin 05-05-2023 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Peter. I also liked Cody Bellinger.

Peter_Spaeth 05-05-2023 04:12 PM

Cody is actually off to a good start, but his past few seasons were just a massive collapse from where he had been.

gonefishin 05-05-2023 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Agreed, I thought Cody was going to be a real Super Star - he still has a chance.

What's this thread without a Rooker photo?