Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Reprint Wrappers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=335469)

Prince Hal 05-16-2023 07:57 AM

Reprint Wrappers

I've started to add 1960's and 1970's wrappers to my collection. I was surprised to see an eBay listing for a 1969 wrapper that was labelled as a reprint. It had all the folds you might expect from a genuine wrapper. The genuine wrappers are not all that expensive so I wonder why anyone goes to the trouble of reprinting and aging them.

My question is, are reprints common and how can you tell a reprint from an original?

bnorth 05-16-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Hal (Post 2340283)
I've started to add 1960's and 1970's wrappers to my collection. I was surprised to see an eBay listing for a 1969 wrapper that was labelled as a reprint. It had all the folds you might expect from a genuine wrapper. The genuine wrappers are not all that expensive so I wonder why anyone goes to the trouble of reprinting and aging them.

My question is, are reprints common and how can you tell a reprint from an original?

I have noticed a lot of reprint/actually counterfeit wrappers the last few years. Some of the better ones are hard to tell apart from real.

People will scam for pennies. One of the biggest misconceptions in the hobby is cheap stuff/low grade is safe when in reality it is not.

steve B 05-16-2023 02:37 PM

It was said at one time that if you wanted to counterfeit, doing ones was the way to go because nobody gave them a first look let alone a second.

Somewhere in my pile o stuff I have what I'm pretty sure is a fake common date Jefferson nickel. And not a well done one either.

bnorth 05-16-2023 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 2340414)
It was said at one time that if you wanted to counterfeit, doing ones was the way to go because nobody gave them a first look let alone a second.

Somewhere in my pile o stuff I have what I'm pretty sure is a fake common date Jefferson nickel. And not a well done one either.

I always heard that about 10s.:D

steve B 05-17-2023 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 2340417)
I always heard that about 10s.:D

I still have a fake 10 I got when I ran a convenience store. First thing in the morning and I was still mostly asleep. Guy bought a breakfasty something probably drakes coffee cake.
I noticed it a bit after he left, called my area supervsior who recommended not calling the police as the store would lose money, but to palm it off on someone else. :(

Paid for it and added it to my collection.

metroac 05-18-2023 06:45 AM

Back to the subject of reprint wrappers, I've bought a few on eBay that were advertised as reprints. In retrospect, I think the seller might have posted the picture of a legit wrapper. The ones I received (Fleer Ted Williams, Topps Davy Crockett) could never be mistaken for the real thing. The stock is completely different, heavily waxed, and the colors are dull. They sorta look like the originals, but not really.