Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mood at the National of Buyers, Sellers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=337968)

Snapolit1 07-18-2023 09:20 AM

Mood at the National of Buyers, Sellers

Been a bunch of threads as to buying, selling, prices, etc. I thought this was a balanced good piece. Bottom line: there will be big crowds but a lot of question marks. The post mortem will be very interesting.

https://sportscollectorsdigest.com/n...a-sales-values

Leon 07-18-2023 10:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the hobby is doing fine. Everything gets cleaned in the wash. In other words, it all works out. Attendance at the show will be fine.

and a card.

parkplace33 07-18-2023 11:02 AM

Great article.

Attendance will be up, prices will be up, but I am not sure how much selling of higher end cards will happen there.

What I expect most is collectors/dealers try to trade their way out of card obtained over the last 3 years. 2023 has definitely become the year of the trade.

Snapolit1 07-18-2023 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parkplace33 (Post 2356744)
Great article.

Attendance will be up, prices will be up, but I am not sure how much selling of higher end cards will happen there.

What I expect most is collectors/dealers try to trade their way out of card obtained over the last 3 years. 2023 has definitely become the year of the trade.

Yep, a lot of people trying get out of holes they stepped into at the top of the market.

mrreality68 07-18-2023 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2356757)
Yep, a lot of people trying get out of holes they stepped into at the top of the market.

But others are in the year of the trade because they spent more then they planned over the last few years because so many cards not seen in years have come up as many took profits from buying years ago.
As a result of buying more than we thought we would we exceed our budget or exceed the amount we allocated and as a result are not as liquid to buy what we want now.
Also because the prices have gone up we cannot buy as much as we used to. So not under water on cards just over spent, over budgeted and Enjoying every minute of it

murphy8276 07-18-2023 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2356740)
I think the hobby is doing fine. Everything gets cleaned in the wash. In other words, it all works out. Attendance at the show will be fine.

Or cleaned again and rewashed until most cannot recognize it is the actual original (altered). :D

You may be right about the overall health of the hobby, but the hobby has changed enough to threaten what collecting was actually about before it became the lottery.

Johnny630 07-18-2023 03:46 PM

I'm not sure if many net54 members are on other FACEBOOK Sports Card Groups but the interest has been way down this year....not much in the way of talk or buying/selling going on.

Hankphenom 07-18-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2356820)
I'm not sure if many net54 members are on other FACEBOOK Sports Card Groups but the interest has been way down this year....not much in the way of talk or buying/selling going on.

Uh oh. Is this for modern, vintage, or both?

Johnny630 07-18-2023 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hankphenom (Post 2356827)
Uh oh. Is this for modern, vintage, or both?

Vintage and Modern

Exhibitman 07-18-2023 06:31 PM

I don't know that you can extrapolate from a particular social media site to the hobby as a whole. There are quite a few people who detest Facebook. twitter, etc., and don't participate. Auctions are still sizzling with very few passed lots. That's a better indicator of hobby health, I think.

Snapolit1 07-18-2023 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2356855)
I don't know that you can extrapolate from a particular social media site to the hobby as a whole. There are quite a few people who detest Facebook. twitter, etc., and don't participate. Auctions are still sizzling with very few passed lots. That's a better indicator of hobby health, I think.

Really special stuff kicking ass as usual. The sort of close to special stuff. . . not so much.

bbcard1 07-18-2023 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2356831)
Vintage and Modern

I haven't found the interest in good stuff to be down in the least.

Johnny630 07-18-2023 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcard1 (Post 2356866)
I haven't found the interest in good stuff to be down in the least.

Agree most of the stuff on Facebook is not the good stuff, it's meh average at best.

Casey2296 07-18-2023 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphy8276 (Post 2356775)
Or cleaned again and rewashed until most cannot recognize it is the actual original (altered). :D

You may be right about the overall health of the hobby, but the hobby has changed enough to threaten what collecting was actually about before it became the lottery.

Good point Murph (I always have to call Murphys Murph in honor of the great SF Giants trainer).

As a pre war collector the market constantly forces me to examine my choices on what I want my collection to look like, these decisions are now big financial decisions when they may not have been in the past, when spending 5k or 10k on a card I better be damn sure that card fits my collection. For me it's a 1200 piece jigsaw puzzle, I've bought pieces that don't fit but every piece that does will remain until I die and my kids can do what they want with it.

There's still a few of us that ascribe to the old school collecting philosophy, it ain't as easy as it used to be though.

Snapolit1 07-19-2023 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2356855)

Just a guess, but I assume our friends who run auction houses are getting no shortage of calls from consignors who were disappointed in what their items sold for. Human nature … remember the height of the market …. Not the fact that you bought for 2k and sold for 5k …. But the fact that at the height of Covid shutdown the same card sold for 17k.

bobbyw8469 07-19-2023 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2356820)

I did a few sales...not much....the prices were nothing to write home about.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 07-19-2023 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 2356869)
Agree most of the stuff on Facebook is not the good stuff, it's meh average at best.

I'm more on the autograph side of things, and the Facebook activity I've encountered in this regard is geared towards the lowest end of the value spectrum. Lots of $1 item sales ("I'll give you 10 cents."). If someone posts a Mantle autograph (value is in the hundreds), people in these groups OOOH and AAAH like they're witnessing the Shroud of Turin. I can imagine the card faction to be a lot like this.

bobbyw8469 07-19-2023 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B (Post 2356963)
I'm more on the autograph side of things, and the Facebook activity I've encountered in this regard is geared towards the lowest end of the value spectrum. Lots of $1 item sales ("I'll give you 10 cents."). If someone posts a Mantle autograph (value is in the hundreds), people in these groups OOOH and AAAH like they're witnessing the Shroud of Turin. I can imagine the card faction to be a lot like this.

I've dabbled in $100-$300 cards in FB via their auctions. Anything higher than that I would feel more comfortable doing a claim sale or DoND format.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 07-19-2023 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 2356966)
I've dabbled in $100-$300 cards in FB via their auctions. Anything higher than that I would feel more comfortable doing a claim sale or DoND format.

I've been of the same mindset value-wise when dealing on FB. I research the seller's reputation, then if that looks good, I've stuck to a similar maximum price point. So many of them only want to be paid via F&F, Zelle, and the like. No, I'm not paying their PP fees on top. That's their problem.

MikeGarcia 07-19-2023 09:05 AM

Ever a problem ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B (Post 2356971)
I've been of the same mindset value-wise when dealing on FB. I research the seller's reputation, then if that looks good, I've stuck to a similar maximum price point. So many of them only want to be paid via F&F, Zelle, and the like. No, I'm not paying their PP fees on top. That's their problem.

.. Does Facebook step up to protect you and refund your money ( like EBAY does ) if the seller keeps your money but never mails you the card ? Anyone ever have a problem ?

rjackson44 07-19-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2357009)
.. Does Facebook step up to protect you and refund your money ( like EBAY does ) if the seller keeps your money but never mails you the card ? Anyone ever have a problem ?

hi mike buy from people that are known in the group.pay goods .yes folks have been burned for not being smart

BillyCoxDodgers3B 07-19-2023 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeGarcia (Post 2357009)

If you don't know the person, ask the group's moderator(s) to provide a reference for the seller before doing anything else.

Facebook offers zero protection for anything. Tread with caution. It can be done wisely, but always keep your guard up and do your homework before waving goodbye to your money. Personally, as already noted, I won't buy anything on Facebook over a predetermined ceiling price that I feel comfortable with.

Spike 07-19-2023 01:55 PM

My own increasing interest in trading is straightforward and reflects the larger effort needed to track buy/sell values for tax purposes and transaction fees at each stage of selling via pros. Trading ends up about the same market value and can create friendly relationships, if you do it right! I offer things for sale every so often and then the hassle sends me back to trading. :-)

conor912 07-19-2023 04:30 PM

I'll be there as a buyer, in a great mood :)

Hankphenom 07-19-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 2357104)
I'll be there as a buyer, in a great mood :)

Love to hear it. Good luck, Conor!