Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Willie Mays Autograph Help: Real or No Deal? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343345)

Polarboy 12-01-2023 08:39 AM

Willie Mays Autograph Help: Real or No Deal?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there! This is my first ever post here, Reddit recommended you guys highly, so I’m here to check it out! I recently got this Willie mays 1972 card, and was wondering if there’s a chance the auto on it is real. I’ve attached the image as an attachment, since idk how to include an image in the thread itself yet. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks a million, and have a great day! -Polarboy

Polarboy 12-01-2023 09:25 AM

Sorry for the image being on it's side. Here's a fixed one!

This should fix the image!

ooo-ribay 12-01-2023 12:38 PM

I think it’s good but 90% of the autographs posted on here get the thumbs down, so who knows?

71buc 12-01-2023 05:50 PM

At the risk of sounding like I actually think I know what I’m talking about, I don’t like this one. Mays’ autograph usually looks like it was penned with quick sharp decisive strokes. This one look’s slowly drawn with multiple pauses. This is especially visible in the W. Since I really don’t know what I’m talking about Rob is probably right.

ooo-ribay 12-01-2023 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 2393366)
At the risk of sounding like I actually think I know what I’m talking about, I don’t like this one. Mays’ autograph usually looks like it was penned with quick sharp decisive strokes. This one look’s slowly drawn with multiple pauses. This is especially visible in the W. Since I really don’t know what I’m talking about Rob is probably right.

Neither one of us knows what we’re talking about! :p

Giants non-autograph, non-card guy and 1971 Pirates guy.

Vintagedeputy 12-01-2023 08:11 PM

I'm an autograph guy and I say no bueno.

RCMcKenzie 12-02-2023 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one that Beckett graded. His signature looks like it says, "Tim Mop"

I am not an auto guy. You can send for grading if you want to sell.

swarmee 12-02-2023 07:14 PM

Fat sharpies hide a lot of issues in autographs, and are usually used by fakers to create that confusion.

RCMcKenzie 12-02-2023 07:19 PM

Here's why I'm not an "auto guy."

My aunt and uncle went to a spring training game and went up to Dwight Gooden and handed him a ball and he signed it. My uncle gave it to my dad to give to me. Although that's provenance to me, it's a cock and bull story to anyone I tried to sell it to.

What's left is comparing a signature from a ball your uncle got in person, to other signatures that pop-up. There's a lot of cloak and dagger and mystery surrounding auto's.

Polarboy 12-02-2023 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 2393678)
Here's one that Beckett graded. His signature looks like it says, "Tim Mop"

I am not an auto guy. You can send for grading if you want to sell.

In the event of it being real (if that is the case) I’m just gonna keep it for the pc. I make it a point not to sell or trade any of the hall of famer stuff, unless I either have duplicates, or am getting a really good deal towards more hall of famers!

Polarboy 12-02-2023 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2393682)
Fat sharpies hide a lot of issues in autographs, and are usually used by fakers to create that confusion.

That's a valid point. Although why they would chose to emulate this style of his auto vs the most common variation he used in the 2000's is beyond me. Maybe it came from of those beckett ad mail in auto scams they had back in the day idk. I hope it's real, but I'm biased of course.

Polarboy 12-02-2023 07:49 PM

Just wanted to say I appreciate all the feedback given by ya'll, whether it's for it being fake or not. I was referred here from r/autographassitance, and i'm glad I was, you guys have a lot to bring to the table regarding the subject.

ooo-ribay 12-02-2023 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 2393682)

That’s probably true but it’s also true that someone could give the card and Sharpie to Willie in, say, the Giants parking lot in Scottsdale. Willie signed for me there, as he was walking. Who knows? Not even the “experts.” :cool:

Duluth Eskimo 12-03-2023 06:05 PM

It’s good