Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Would you buy a trimmed card? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=343689)

Elberson 12-08-2023 06:58 PM

Would you buy a trimmed card?

2 Attachment(s)
Would you buy a trimmed card? We’ve already probably have some in are collections already and didn’t even know it. I’m looking to finish off my 1965 Topps set and only needing the mantle. I ran across this mantle on eBay and thinking about buying it. The card looks great in the holder. Does SGC have special shorter holders for them? Would I go to hell if I bought it lol.

G1911 12-08-2023 07:03 PM

Have many times. Could care less if it’s a small trim job. I care if it’s a big one only because I keep my cards raw and a way undersized card often falls out of the stack during handling.

bnorth 12-08-2023 07:04 PM

As long as the price is right I have no problem with trimmed cards.

JollyElm 12-08-2023 10:42 PM

Does the seller have other SGC cards for sale? If so, they were probably scanned the same way, so I would download one and then superimpose it over the Mantle to see how 'trimmed' it looks. Might make it easier for you to make a decision.

Also, be aware that SGC is better with cards that may be technically a tiny bit short, but came out of the factory that way. They grade such cards, whereas PSA just sends them back to you. My point is, when they say there's evidence of trimming, that means they really, really believe it was trimmed. Keep that in mind.

Gorditadogg 12-09-2023 07:47 AM

I am not a fan of altered cards, although I am sure I have several.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

butchie_t 12-09-2023 07:26 PM

Not knowingly.

Elberson 12-09-2023 09:29 PM

If it was trimmed, just looking at the pictures. Where would you think it might be trimmed? Bottom corner looking at the back?

nat 12-09-2023 09:29 PM

I happily buy trimmed cards, although I prefer when they were trimmed by some kid in 1934 who just hated borders than by some guy looking for a grade bump. The "grade bump trim" might remind me that someone was angling to make a few extra bucks whenever I look at the card, which feels icky to me.

Kaneen 12-10-2023 04:37 AM

I don't think there's anything "wrong" with you buying this card if you are happy with having it in your set...it is fully disclosed that the card has been altered, so you have eyes wide open going in, and it is likely priced accordingly. It's your collection and your set, so collect whatever makes you happy.

Now, what would be "wrong" is if upon obtaining the card you were to crack it out of the holder, and then sometime down the road sell the set, or that single card, without disclosing the fact that it was previously determined by SGC to be trimmed.

gonefishin 12-10-2023 02:31 PM

The only card I would buy trimmed is one that has been hand cut.

swarmee 12-11-2023 08:18 AM

Sure, I'd buy and keep a trimmed card that was appropriately labeled as such, and still presents nice.

The scamming going on in the hobby is mostly from people passing them off as unaltered; that's what I have an issue with.

CardPadre 12-11-2023 08:22 AM

I share a similar sentiment to some posts above, depends on the age of the trimmer.

Zach Wheat 12-12-2023 06:41 AM

Depends on the age of the card and how it presents; however, the short answer is yes I would be a trimmed card. I bought a Homerun Baker card with a horrid back - but the front of the card looked pristine.

I have less tolerance for trimmed cards from later dates.

raulus 12-12-2023 09:09 AM

If a lot of the claims are to be believed, just about any time we buy a high grade vintage card, the odds are good that it's trimmed.

If that is your paradigm, then I suspect that most of my cards are trimmed.

But I sure hope not. And I'm definitely not happy about that possibility.

Kutcher55 12-12-2023 12:54 PM

I'm ok owning a trimmed card if it enables me to get a great card with nice eye appeal at a low price. But I sure wouldn't want it sitting in a holder that reads, "Evidence of Trimming." I have a few that I have cracked out and aware that they are authentic and not trimmed. They go in my raw collection. I suppose that I should mark the case as trimmed or altered so that when I die the potential buyer and seller should be aware the card is trimmed. Always want to keep things ethical and whatnot. Would also never knowingly sell an altered card without being up front about it.

egri 12-16-2023 07:26 PM

I have a handful that were cut by the original owner way back when. I don't mind; I think it makes the colors pop and it helped keep the prices down.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...07817caa_z.jpg

Mark70Z 12-20-2023 07:33 AM

Sgc

What gets me is that SGC lately is put “evidence of trimming” on a proof card that’s obviously been cut from a sheet. Is hand cut now being called evidence of trimming?

jingram058 12-21-2023 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elberson (Post 2395505)
Would you buy a trimmed card? We’ve already probably have some in are collections already and didn’t even know it. I’m looking to finish off my 1965 Topps set and only needing the mantle. I ran across this mantle on eBay and thinking about buying it. The card looks great in the holder. Does SGC have special shorter holders for them? Would I go to hell if I bought it lol.

Would I buy a trimmed card? I have many. Just one of the reasons I am able to have so many highly desirable cards. Since I don't give a hoot about card grading, they're a-okay with me.

Elberson 12-21-2023 11:27 AM

……just an update…….

I couldn’t pull the trigger on the trimmed card, my conscience wouldn’t let me lol. I’m sure I have some in my collection as we all do but just not knowing. I waited for another card to pop up and went with that one….(graded 5.5)

Republicaninmass 12-21-2023 11:59 AM

Only if a rare card, or tough signed card

mrmopar 12-22-2023 08:15 PM

I regret "returning" a signed 1948 Bowman Stan Musial that I bought from someone, either ebay or some other site, but I seem to remember being able to meet in person for the exchange.

I recall, and this was years ago so I may not be remembering it 100% correctly, that I either received it and later met up with or met up with and saw the card appeared trimmed, so I asked for a cancellation or refund.

At the time, I recall it being in the $200 range, I'd be OK with that card, even trimmed slightly, now.

rnocards 12-24-2023 01:54 AM

No, I will not intentionally buy a trimmed card.

Kutcher55 12-26-2023 05:56 PM

One thing this thread got me to do is to label all my raw cards that I know to be altered. I have 5 or 6 in including a 71 Clemente that looks like an 8 and a 53 Musial. Now if I kick the bucket and someone tries to sell my collection those cards will be labeled as they should be.