Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ESPN: OTL - Discussing T206 Wagner (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=90813)

Archive 09-14-2008 07:02 AM

ESPN: OTL - Discussing T206 Wagner

Posted By: <b>ChiSoxFan</b><p>Check ESPN NOW!!!<br><br>Looking for T206 Sweet Caporal Fact. #30 White Sox in Poor to Fair condition.

Archive 09-14-2008 07:17 AM

Posted By: <b>Neal</b><p>Interesting guy they are talking to just mention N54 how cruel they were about this card!

Archive 09-14-2008 07:28 AM

Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>I saw barrysloate's name, but not the post attributed to him...the ones they showed were not attributed to a poster.<br /><br />overall, the OTL piece actually came off as a positive for the hobby, I think, with the commentator's comments that compared it to fine art, etc...<br /><br />big time exposure...not all good, but not all bad, either.<br /><br />hard to understand the race thing, though.<br /><br />I haven't bought it because I don't have the money. If I did have the money, I wouldn't buy the card because I don't think it's real, not because the owners happen to be two working class african american guys.<br />

Archive 09-14-2008 07:45 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Hey Jason- where did you see my name?

Archive 09-14-2008 07:46 AM

Posted By: <b>Anonymous</b><p>Why don't they just submit it to SGC or GAI? If they think PSA will give them a raw deal.....

Archive 09-14-2008 07:58 AM

Posted By: <b>Dan Koteles</b><p>in the restroom at ESPN

Archive 09-14-2008 08:02 AM

Posted By: <b>Jason L</b><p>Barry,<br />as they scrolled the camera down a Net54 thread, highlighting several post excerpts, I saw your barrysloate handle on the left. There were a few others as well, but I can't recall getting a good look at them all. I spotted yours.<br />They did not quote your post, however. <br /><br />Anonymous,<br />The way it was explained during the segment was that they refuse to submit it to PSA because they don't like the idea of not being present in the room during the inspection.<br /><br />Also, in general, I thought that Cobb's story about how he found the card rather odd. He said he found it at some sort of estate or tag sale, and the guy wanted $2500 or so for the card. He said he offered $1800. The ESPN interviewer then asked if he had ever heard of Honus Wagner, and he said no! Now, this could be creative editing by ESPN, but why would anyone shell out that kind of dough for a card you knew nothing about. The segment also showed the ESPN interviewer in Cobb's basement sifting through his piles of stuff...and all I saw were cards issued post 2000...they even asked about all his Pokemon cards....I just thought it placed it all in interesting context, is all.

Archive 09-14-2008 08:03 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Dan- wouldn't be the first time.

Archive 09-14-2008 08:21 AM

Posted By: <b>barrysloate</b><p>Thanks Jason.

Archive 09-14-2008 08:28 AM

Posted By: <b>Jodi Birkholm</b><p>"they even asked about all his Pokemon cards...."<br /><br />What do YOU like to play?<br /><br />Pokeman!<br /><br />Po-kee-MAN? Po-kee-MAN??? With the Po-kee and the MAN and the wah, wah, WAH???<br /><br />--Bill Cosby on <i>The Simpsons</i><br /><br />