View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

Magee as a subject would be 150/350, but if I have it right the Magie spelling is 150 only.(And piedmont only at that) I'm looking at it as a separate card rather than as a subject.

The timing makes sense with Powers, but as part of a sheet layout, it's a bit odd. Obviously he was on a sheet that got the 649OP, but not on any sheets that recieved 350 backs.

I think the Powers shows that the sheet layouts were entirely redone for the 350 run, rather than the 150/350 subjects being sheets preprinted and used with different backs during the transition from 150 to 350.

I'm slowly making progress with some of my efforts to narrow down the sheets or at least figure out the number of cards on a sheet. I have saved scans of at least 4 different Magies, and probably closer to 6-8. Hard to do from poor scans. I also have scans of 3 P150s with the plate scratch. plus a few others with identifiable consistent defects on the back.
(Note to those who don't like "variations" -while the different positions on the sheet are different and consistent I prefer calling them "varieties" and don't think they need to be recognized or attract a premium.)

Without access to detailed scans or in person notetaking of thousands of cards I'll be lucky to pin down much of anything, but I'm working on it.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Steve

1st......The Magie (Magee) card is actually a 150/350 series subject, so I would not include with the original group of 12 subjects that you listed.

2nd......The Powers card was intended as a 150/350 series subject. But, his untimely death in April 1909 most likely is the reason his card wasn't
printed with "350 Subjects" backs.

Best regards,

TED Z