View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
So whenever I decide to selling something dealing with baseball I always have the hardest time deciding whether to accept a private collector offer or sell at auction. For example lets say you have a item, a auction house tells you $3,000-$5,500+ while a collector offers you $3,000. Do you accept the offer or still send to auction. Because remember the auction house will take 15%-20%. Looking forward to hearing others thoughts.
I try to have a figure in my head beforehand, one that takes into FMV and what I would be satisfied with. I take into consideration any fees AND the possibility of not reaching the estimate in auction.

In your example, the $3000 offer amounts to a gavel price of $3600. If my 'happy' price is below that AND the likelihood of a significantly higher gavel price is small, I'd take the deal. If I answer one of those two questions "No", off to auction we go.