View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I believe his point, which is one I agree with, is that perception is reality in this area of collecting. Some people here like to say "Either the auto is real or it isn't." That is true, but unfortunately irrelevant, because all we have are opinions and opinions of those giving opinions.
That is exactly correct, Wayne; thank you for not purposefully misrepresenting my point. One of the things that absolutely drives me nuts in this field is the substitution of opinion for fact and the demand for fact when opinion is all that is available. Unless I was standing there watching the subject sign I cannot state as fact that an autograph is authentic: I must rely on what an eyewitness tells me [hearsay] or the opinion of an expert. Since I cannot testify from firsthand experience of the signing as to all but a few items I own, the most I can do is offer an opinion. I do not have the cachet or expertise to offer a marketable opinion so I hire an expert to do it for me. Hopefully I hire a good one, but as long as I hire one whose opinions are generally accepted by the buyers in the pertinent marketplaces and that expert renders an opinion, what I think is irrelevant and what the unknowable ultimate facts are likewise are irrelevant. As the ultimate fact is unknowable and irrelevant, I do not care whether an item is "real" as many colloquially put it; I care that I do not mislead anyone about what I am offering.

Anyone who collects or trades in signatures ultimately is trading in opinions, not facts. I know some folks don't like to admit that, but it is the inescapable truth.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-12-2012 at 03:05 PM.