View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
What I find interesting is that the known genuine Mathewson signatures show a lot of differences while the bookplates are very consistent. Maybe that's a strike against them, maybe not?

It makes me think of another question I've had that I think I'll ask in it's own thread as it's more general.

Steve B
Yeah, this one perplexes me for the very reason that you have pinpointed: the signatures on these books that I have seen are very consistent and quite beautiful. Is that a point for or against them? It is pretty much a certainty that Mathewson never had an opportunity (aside from this one, if he did sign them) to write his name 500 times in a row. I like collecting signed books because the author usually is proud of he book and therefore takes time with a signature therein. Matty was well known as a gentleman and may well have been laborious in giving each of these bookplates his finest signature. Then again, a seasoned ghost signer can work magic with a fountain pen again and again.

Sorry for the mishmash of thoughts. Part of me is disappointed that there is mystery as to the authenticity of these because I would really love to own one some day. Not like the mystery will ever be solved...

Max, you own one of these, no?

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all