View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
I am in my 50th year as a Yankee fan but I have to recognize that: The Yankees have a platoon of .240 hitters in left, a .250 hitter albeit with power in center, a .250 hitter with some power who disappears in the post-season in right field, a .250 hitter who pads his power stats against bad teams at first base, a .200 hitter behind the plate and two aging stars at short and third. Ibanez/Jones, Granderson, Swisher, Tex and A-Rod will each probably be around 200 Ks.
Ichiro is not the player he once was but he still has some speed. He can field his position and has a great arm. Most importantly, he puts the ball in play, advances runners, doesn't strike out alot and makes productive outs.
.250 hitters aren't that big of a deal. It's just 1 hit a week from .300. The one thing I'll agree with you though, is that the team isn't as good on paper as they appear. The one thing you're not noting about those players though, is how much they work the counts. Ichiro also can work the hell out of a count.. These guys can wear down a pitcher quickly.

Now as far as Ichiro goes, I think to an extent, that he was somewhat bored in Seattle...Sure he's aging, but I think it's possible that this could spark a new interest for him, and he could end up batting .300 for the rest of the year, and with the majority of that lineup killing fastballs, I can see an increase in steals for Ichiro, due to the higher volume of offspeed pitches. Plus he should score more runs when he does get on...I'd take any Yankee batting behind him, over any Mariner...