View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Sean Brennan

thanks guys!
The first player to die in the set was Earl Clarke in 1938. He is pretty well impossible. i have never seen one and the fact that he was a minor leaguer makes him even more difficult. The most difficult one as far as dying the earliest that i have is Johnny Welch whom died in 1940. However I dont think he is the rarest as I have seen a few of his signed. Ironically one of the toughest ones I have died in the 60's. Heine Meine. Never seen another. My two favorite commons that I have are Earl Whitehill and Larry Benton. The Benton pose is one of my favorite poses and the Whitehill I got as a christmas present in 1989 for the unheard of sum of $50!
One of my favorite stories of my collection was picking up a Bennie Bengough off ebay from a seller that had a complete set (but only had that one signed for some reason?). A month later I picked up a George Davis and it was signed to the same kid that Bengough signed to. Was fun to get that "collection" back together.
I managed to get about 30 of the players before they died so chances are if you have a signed Goudey of a player that died after 1990, I was the one that got it. At one time I had TWENTY Willis Hudlins. I traded a LOT off to get ones I needed. I believe I am at 182 different right now. and about 300 total. oddly the Cubs are the first team set I completed though I am an Al Simmons away from completing the White Sox as well. Also, I keep nearly all my signed Goudeys in 9 pocket pages and somehow I dont have a complete signed page???
I do curently have every player that died all the way back to Dizzy Dean except one (Luke Sewell standing, he apparently didnt like signing the card as he insisted it wasnt him?)

33 goudey blaeholder.JPG

33 goudey comorosky.JPG

33 goudey welch.JPG

1933 goudey #37-45.jpg

1933 goudey #73-81.jpg

1933 goudey #145-153.jpg

1933 goudey george davis.jpg

1933 goudey whitehill signed.jpg

1933 goudey #1 - 9.jpg