View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
What an exceptional photo and signature this is. Butlin Camp is of course a great footnote to Beatles history. One morning in August, 1962, Ringo was awakened by a knock on his cabin door. It was John and Paul, who had traveled some three hours to tell Ringo that they were about to fire Pete Best, and would Ringo be willing to leave Rory Storm and take his place as the Beatles' new drummer. Once Rory finally agreed to let him go, Ringo became a Beatle. I'm not sure of the exact date this took place, but I am guessing Monday, August 6, 1962. It was an off day for the band so it's a logical choice. That 50th anniversary is only a week away.

And that's the first photo I've seen of the Hurricanes in Butlin, so it offers some historical context. Really great piece.
All true, Barry. But, there was more than one Butlin's. The photo I own was taken at Butlins Holiday Camp, Pwllheli, North Wales, in June, 1960. Here are some others from that set of gigs:

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1...ins-ringo.html

Notice the set of autographs at the bottom of the page, dated June 1960--the one Frank Caiazzo states is Ringo's earliest known autograph. There's a photographer's notation on the photo, "nc 167." My photo has the same notation--in the same hand--"nc 164." So my photo dates from June 1960 as well, and the Ringo signature is at least as old. Hot Damn!