View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM

I'm no expert on appraisals and this is a very broad example, but I read that an appraisal is based on 'assuming the items are authentic.' I give an example of when someone appraises the contents of your home for insurance purposes. You can't expect the appraiser to be an expert on the Superman Comic book on your shelf and the diamond ring and oil painting next to it. You'd be be goofy in the head to expert him to be able to authenticate everything in our house for that one hour hour appraisal. He may ask to see the certification that that ring is real diamond, the receipt/papers for that painting and the LOA your Domonique Wilkens game used jersey, but he's not there as an authenticator. If you read the average appraisal, you will often see that it specifically and overtly says that it is not statement about the authenticity, but only a value estimate based on 'if' the items are real.

I do realize the obvious difference is the case in this thread involves a group of autographs and an appraiser who is an expert in autographs. But keep in mind an appraisal and an authentication are often distinctly different things. For all we know, the customer sent in a list of autographs saying "I need to know the going market value to quote for my insurance" and Gutierrez may have quoted him a going 'if they are real' market price.

Duly note I've never exactly understood appraisals, especially how the heck they come up with their values for items-- so I've long been suspect of the whole scheme. But that's how they work, and how appraisers are taught in appraiser school.

And firstly and lastly and middle, you have to see the actual appraisal document to know what it says. Assuming what it says and intends doesn't feed the bull dog. As noted, it may have simply be a generic quote of market prices because someone asked.

Last edited by drc; 11-04-2012 at 01:28 PM.