View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I've always been a supporter of legalization, because I think that if legalized it could be very good for the economy(for the record, I don't smoke). It will however also mean changes across the board in regards to police, courts, IRS, etc.... Plus the fact that it wouldn't legitimatize drug dealers, it would only put it in the stores. It would also potentially take away the "gateway" factor. It's not that weed itself is a gateway to other drugs, it's the potential "upsale" factor associated with some dealers.. It could also potentially take the "nursery" industry to a whole new level, turning jobs that are now done by migrant seasonal workers, into somewhat legitimate jobs that could pay enough to be worth it for the typically unemployed person to do, which could have greatly positive effects for the Welfare system.(While we're at it, I think that legalized and regulated prostitution could also fit a similar bill, as to the positive effects on not only the economy, but the healthcare system as well)

The police and courts will put up the biggest fight. It's a major stream of income for the police and courts. It's money that they not only count on, but their budgets are built around. Now that money will be re-directed elsewhere through taxes and simple redistribution. The courts and police will either a)ask for more money, b)have to make major cut-backs and/or layoffs, or c)step up the typical fundraising by being even more overly strict in handing out tickets.

Last edited by novakjr; 11-14-2012 at 08:53 AM.