View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
In 1974 my father began buying me one box of unopened Topps cards for Christmas, at the time I was 11. Hank Aaron had become my favorite player following the passing of Clemente. I recall the joy of sorting the cards and being thrilled with card # 1. This tradition continued unitl age 26 when I married. At that time he decided I was too old for cards.

Two years ago I had a bit of luck and purchased seven boxes of unopened Topps 1975-76 basketball cards for $140.00. I obviously sold them for much, much more. I used the opportunity to purchase Rookie cards of both Clemente and Aaron. There was no choice to be made for the Clemente (55 Topps). However, I agonized between the 54 Topps and the 54 Johnston Cookies Hank Aaron. Although there were far many more 54 Topps available I made the conventional choice and picked up the Topps version.

Today I came home from work and found a USPS box addressed to me. It contained this card. I knew immediately where it came from. I called my 73 year old father and he said, “Merry Christmas”. For a moment it was 1974 all over again for both of us.
Great story, Mike. Clemente and Aaron are my favorite two players from that era. Congrats on the Christmas present. Sounds like you have a very cool dad! Merry Christmas!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 12-08-2012 at 10:38 PM.