View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Mark O.
Mark Og.ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc View Post
I assume no one here knows how PSA goes about authenticating a ticket like this-- what are the methods, exemplars (if any), knowledge--, so I don't know how anyone here can knowledgeably criticize their methods.

The assumption here has been PSA didn't have an exemplar for this ticket, but that's nothing more than a guess. Tell me why the expert who examined this ticket couldn't have a large collection of sit com tickets for comparison? Presumably one becomes an expert in tickets by having accumulating a huge collection of tickets.

Did the examiner have an exemplar for this ticket? I don't know. How did he go about judging this ticket as authentic? I don't know.

Perhaps there was compelling provenance, such as it coming from a scrapbook which included snapshots of the submitter and vacationing family at the studio and set. Perhaps it came from the estate auction of a producer. I once got a small collection of 1970s-80s 'everyday fan' baseball game tickets from the estate auction of a former MLB GM. The collection also included his personalized executive's passes, so it wasn't hard to demonstrate the executive provenance.
I'm not knowledgeably criticizing their methods, I'm knowledgeably criticizing the fact that that call themselves "authenticators". PSA doesn't prove or serve to prove anything, they do not authenticate. I'm primarily an autograph collector, can anyone here show an autograph that they submitted and supply any proof of a "method" that was used by PSA to determine if their autograph is in fact authentic?

Proof exists that many of their "slabbed" boxing autographs are not authentic, the notion of a "method" could be a fairytale for all we know?