View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 AM
Paula

Default Homemade Vintage Card Confusion & Corn Flakes

Stay tuned for the Corn Flakes advertising backs…. (which I admit, are pretty darn interesting). I’ve had this collection of homemade cards for less than a week now, and so far, I’ve scanned and researched 50 of the 500+ homemade cards. Most are pretty easy to figure out, but I’d really appreciate some advice on two of them:

Which Wilson?
Eddie (Edward Francis) or Hack (Lewis Robert) Wilson?

Eddie played Outfield (right) with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1936-37.
Hack played outfield for the New York Giants (1923-25), the Chicago Cubs (1926-30), the Brooklyn Dodgers (1932-34) and Philadelphia Athletics (1934).

The handmade card indicates Wilson played Center Field, and a notation on the back indicates Brooklyn.

You make the call…
-----

L I V E s t o n e

I can’t seem to identify which Livingstone this card was fashioned after. He supposedly caught and coached and I’ve I found two Livingstons (without the “e”) from that era -- Paddy and Mickey -- which may fit the bill. The photo glued to the front of the card shows Livingston(e) in what I believe to be a Milwaukee uniform. Notes on the back of the card show Brooklyn with 8 hash marks and Boston with a single hash.

Paddy caught for the Cleveland Blues (Indians) in 1901, the Cincinnati Reds in 1906, the Philadelphia Athletics from 1909-1911, the Cleveland Naps (Indians) in 1912 and the St. Louis Cardinals in 1917. According to SABR, Branch Rickey hired Paddy as a catcher-coach for the 1917 St. Louis Cardinals, but left after 7 games. In 1919 he was a bullpen catcher for the Athletics. NO experience with Brooklyn or Boston, or Milwaukee uniform as far as I can tell.

Mickey Livingston’s SABR bio also indicates a resume combining catching & coaching: playing with the Washington Senators (1938), Philadelphia Phillies (1941-43), New York Giants (1947-1949), 28 games with the Boston Braves (1949) and a brief, two game stint with the Brooklyn Dodgers (1951). SABR’s bio on Mickey mentioned that Mickey served as manager of the Milwaukee Braves’ Boise, Idaho, team (1955) in the Pioneer League

I’m thinking its Mickey, but YOU make the call…
-----

Now, for the cornflakes:
I flipped through the cards and found a dozen or so cards backed with the recognizable Kellogg's Corn Flake box -- pretty cool !!