View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Great stories!!

I have three older daughters...then my son. He is the youngest and is now 7, and a card fanatic. I can't really track his first card, wish I could like others here (mine was a 1979 Reggie Jackson, first card I pulled out of a pack). I gave him all my 80's and 90s junk which of course he LOVES. He is always supplying the kids at school with cards from that era and he loves being "the card man" with all the kids. About 6 months ago he came to me and said he wanted to collect all the cards of Harmon Killebrew, who is my hero. I was pretty proud. He now has the 56, 59, and 65. I have severall of every card but am only giving him them at special times so he appreciates them.

Cool story...his uncle, my brother, just started the 59 set. My son wanted BADLY to give him a 59 Killebrew for Christmas, but didn't want to part with his. So he came to me and offered a trade, completely out of the blue for me, a Russell Wilson rookie (VERY coveted for him) and a 90 Donruss Sammy Sosa for one of my 59 Killebrews to give to his uncle for Christmas. How could I pass up that trade! Uncle was very happy...

I got back into collecting for him, and he will get all my cards someday...and I wouldn't trade a minute of time we organize and look at cards together. I LOVE IT. His goal right now is to get a Clemente card, and when he saw the picture above he was VERY jealous...love that too. He just read about Clemente in school. I also carried two cards in my wallet from when I was 12, to 30. I have them in special protectors now, or whats left of them...a 69 Willie and a 69 Aaron. They will be his when he gets his first real wallet.

Here is a picture of him from a couple nights ago...my brother and I took our families to the local shop that was hosting local star Doug Baldwin (Seahawks Wide Receiver) and got a card autographed. What a great moment, and Doug was AWESOME to my kid...who as you can tell is also a major Seahawk fan...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03