View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I guess I don't understand the criticism here...a nearly unique card of a very important team sells for $92,000 which is chump change to the high rollers in this hobby and for the most part this is bringing ridicule in this thread.
It just happened and it was a big deal. We've been anticipating this auction for a long time, and if you look at the estimates given by board members (some, at least, I think you would agree whose opinions we all respect), they are not generally up in the $80K + range. Given that, you might expect some eyebrow-raising, which might come across to you (and I'm sure Don and Jim) as criticism or ridicule.

I like the fact that we have a discussion forum like this to throw our thoughts out, even if they might not always be politically correct, well-written, publishable or even 'fair' to the 'victim'. I also like the fact that, even though you are a moderator, you are one of the more opinionated board members and don't feel the constraints that some forum moderators on the internet might feel. Keep it coming!

The tax thing makes sense - I hadn't thought of that. In addition, this guy is more of a collector than he let on. Perhaps he just has a huge wad of discretionary income and simply wanted this card - we've seen that happen plenty of times on this board (and we've sometimes ridiculed it )