View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschris View Post
Like Brian a couple posts above, I'd like to also ask about transportation to downtown and/or other things to do. My family went two years ago for just one day. My son was 11 at the time and had a blast with me. My daughter was 9 and she found a few things (seriously, they had stuffed animals there? Crazy.) but mainly she and my wife stayed at the hotel.

We are nervous about driving in large cities so the girls going on an excursion alone was out of the question. But there didn't seem to be anything at all for them to do nearby, either. I'd like to go for a couple of days, but I don't want the girls to be trapped in the hotel for that long. Any suggestions? Even a mall or shopping area close by (preferably without having to get back on the freeway) would help.

Thanks!
Jason
Jason, From the convention center walk north on River Rd. under the expressway to the CTA Blue Line stop on the right. Get on going east. You can get off at various points along the way. If you want to go to Wrigley get off at the Addison stop and then get on a bus going east to Clark and Addison. If you want to go to downtown Chicago stay on the CTA Blue Line all the way down to the Loop and get off at Clark and Lake. Once you're downtown there are a million places to go. Check out the ledge at the top of the Sears/Willis Tower. I would highly recommend the Millenium Park area and the Pritzker Pavillion, BP Bridge, Lurie Gardens, Ramp up to the Modern Wing of the Art Institute. You can walk north on Michigan Avenue over the River onto the Magnificent Mile for shopping. Along the lakefront in the summer is awesome. A bike/running path all the way and great for people watching. North Avenue Beach is a happening spot. If you're downtown and want to go to Wrigley you can get on the Red Line on State Street, east of Clark and Lake. Looks like the Cubs are home during the Convention. Playing the Brewers during the week and then the Dodgers on the weekend! If anyone needs a list of restaurants to check out let me know. Charles. P.S. If you want to go on a little Curse of the Cubs tour check out "The Billy Goat" on lower Michigan just north of the river and then head a little west to Harry Carey's Restaurant where they blew up the Bartman ball and made pasta sauce out of it! LOL.

Last edited by BengoughingForAwhile; 02-13-2013 at 08:40 AM.