View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Having no expertise in felt pennants, I can only wonder whether 9x24 was a common dimension in this period. If so, that would make the size match less compelling and enhance the possibility that the large pennants we've seen were a premium that was part of the BF2 promotion, wherever that was.
As for the fact that no large pennant matching the style shown on the Ferguson blotter has surfaced, the scarcity of the pillow tops (far fewer than 10 have been found) suggests extreme rarity, while their size and utility might have given them a better chance of survival.
By the way, although I collect the D381 Ferguson set, I have no real interest in the BF2s or larger pennants. My skepticism about their origin is purely the result of never encountering them in original holdings over a lifetime of collecting in the Boston area, nor having seen any advertising for them during many hours of microfilm research of Boston newspapers of the period.
My money is on all of these shown in this thread being put out by Ferguson's. The minor differences aren't any big deal. No way in heck do I think there are other 9 x 24 pennants we will find, which are Ferguson's, and not like the ones found, from the same time period and with ultra close designs put out by a different mfg. They are all Ferguson's Bakery felts to me. Am I 100%, no, but I am close to it.