View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
I probably wasn't clear enough explaining my intent. I have some autos on paper, but was thinking about getting them slabbed by SGC. I don't think the paper alone would be thick enough to be held in place by their card insert, so I was thinking of the best way to adhere it to something about the thickness of an index card.

But, after calculating the price (some over sized), prep and risk...it's probably not worth the time and effort.

If they were on clean index cards or sheets of paper, I would just cut a custom mat for a photo and the auto. These are on lined paper, golf scorecard, folded sheet, book page, etc. Sometimes you simply can't make chicken soup out of...
I go back to my original suggestion. I would suggest using a medium that does not put any type of adhesive on the item, whether it is archival or not, if it is not needed. If you are speaking of items like scorecards and bookpages you can mount them to an acid free mat board using archival acrylic or polyester photo mounts. If you are set on using some kind of adhesive item I prefer document repair tape for mounting rather than the linen tape. I have both and have used both. The document repair tape is ultra thin and can be used for mounting and I have done it with photographs. It is lignin free and has acrylic adhesive which is non-yellowing, permanent and stable. Additionally if you choose to dismantle the item you can cut the repair tape at the edge of the item and burnish it to the back. It is virtually invisible. I also use it to repair ripped photographs and unless I point it out, it is very difficult to see.

If you are going to mat the item then, of course, use archival mats. For the easily matted items the photo corners or similar mounts would allow viewing without any distortion.

If this interests you I would suggest contacting Light Impressions in Sante Fe - http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/ or University Products in Holyoke, MA - http://www.universityproducts.com/. They are both fine companies that provide archival supplies to museums and libraries and regular schmucks like us. Light Impressions also has a toll free help line to assist you.

Last edited by Michael B; 03-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.