View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 PM

Default 1898-99 Rugeley Football Club 6x8 Mounted Photograph - Rugby

Very nice 19th Century Mounted Photo of the 1898-99 Rugeley Amateur Football Club. Photo itself measures approximately 6x8 and is in very nice condition. The mount itself is nice until you get to the bottom, where the bottom edge was torn off. Still could be matted and framed out easily enough.

The image is really striking on this picture. I don't even collect Rugby but I just thought it was such a cool 19th century piece with lots of fun little details. I love the uniforms looking like referee outfits, one gentleman way ahead of his time by rolling up the sleeves. The stockings, shoes, and then the streetclothed men with pocket watch chains, a couple with pipes, etc. It's one of the sharpest images I've ever seen from this era, as you can see the detail down to the blades of grass. Okay, maybe I get a lot more enjoyment out of this piece than others do... I just like the sharp details on a 115-year-old photo.

The back mount reads either "H. Beardsmore" or "H. Beardshore" as the photographer.

Bidding starts at just $10, increments of $1, and shipping is $4. Auction ends Monday, April 1st (no foolin'!) at 8 PM CST.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rugely FC 1898.jpg (76.2 KB, 61 views)