View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Colby Neal-Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Colby,

Agreed...it maddens the hell out of seasoned hobbyists, too.

I have been burned exactly twice in the 30 or so total years I have participated in this hobby. One time was with a counterfeit in the 1990's and I recently wound up with a trimmed card. The particular examples I got stuck with are unimportant for this discussion; however, both transactions left me feeling less than happy about the state of affairs this hobby faces.

Again, I agree...while I may not get duped on the Wagner and Plank that initiated our exchange, there are newcomers to our hobby that would be...and that is a net loss for baseball card collecting, as a whole. After all, without the infusion of new, young, enthusiastic collectors, the continuity of the hobby is in jeopardy.

I appreciate your opinions on the subject and hope this finds you well.

Best Regards,

Eric
I am 22 and I RARELY meet a "vintage" collector my age, like finding a NR-MT t206 Ty Cobb green background in an attic in Alaska (yes so rare that I referenced the state of Alaska), it just doesn't happen. I just think if someone is contemplating in joining our hobby and finds out its filled with an overwhelming amount of frauds then wouldn't that make he/she not want to pursue it? I mean if it was me joining a new hobby and then found out almost every corner I turned someone was trying to scam me, or some dealer/seller was selling their card to me at an absurd price I would not want to pursue it as well.

Vice-versa, there is so much info on the web that can inform a newbie when trying to buy cards but doesn't it disappoint you when you find out the local card shop is selling cards at prices that are absurd (like they're trying to rip you off)? Also, doesn't it suck doing research and finding out the PSA holders can be cracked open then replaced with fakes? I mean there are SO MANY THINGS YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF....It just seems like that the vintage side of the hobby only allows the most AVID and DETERMINED baseball newbies to join... This is just my opinion. Please someone tell me its not that bad. I've been back in the hobby for only a year and I hope I'm wrong. So someone please correct me.