View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
"They say the acquisitive desire, strong in a magpie and even stronger in a human, is nothing more than a savage instinct, an uncontrolled desire to seize upon a treasure and hoard it away."
----Charles Hamilton in Auction Madness*
(kind of sounds like everyone on this board)

*Reference:Auction Madness by Charles Hamilton, Everet House, New York, NY, 1981.
Richard, what I don't get is how badly collectors can "wish" a signature into being authentic. I once threw away a Mickey Mantle signed postcard because I didn't think it was authentic, and couldn't stand the thought of having a forgery in my home. It might have been real - not an obvious forgery - but this was long, long ago, when he was still alive, so the value wasn't huge. If I'm not 99.9% sure it's authentic, it can't stay in the house - no exceptions.

On the opposite end of the spectrum you have people paying amounts that I could almost retire on, to have a forged baseball sitting on their mantle. I'm sure that some of them are either a bit under 90% sure, or possible certain that it's fake - I just don't get it. And we could all cite examples of board members who are in this latter category - far too many who want something to be real so badly that they become incapable of telling the difference.