View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 12:01 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Not when it comes to baseball.
I put a lot of weight into opinions when there is familiarity with the autograph for the authenticator or dealer.
Who is really familiar with an autograph of Dan Brouthers?
I haven;t seen the Dan Brouthers ball so my comment is not directed at it , and instead is a general overview of this thread. and my personal experiences... Charles Hamilton was highly regarded in his day as an expert on historical autographs..Not Sports, Toward the end of his life when baseball autographs stated booming he became involved in that area too but only briefly.
I recently purchased a collection of vintage autographs , the original collector was meticulous about keeping invoices etc. One of the items was a Joe Jackson autograph with a bill of sale/Coa from Charles Hamilton. I didn't like it but to cross check myself as I often do I sent scans to several collectors who's opinions I trust , the consensus was unanimous and I returned the Jackson signature.
With regards to Dan Brouthers autograph I have been an active baseball autograph dealer for well over 30 years specializing in 19th century and dead ball era autographs and I have never once bought or sold a Brouthers signature.
Lastly I have seen notorized legal documents and even personal checks of various tough to find Hall of Fame signatures that had been mocked up to appear genuine but were not. So even those documents in and of themselves do not guarantee authenticity.