View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I'll go with the BBWAA who voted for the first class of HOF'ers in 1936. This was right after Ruth's career and since everyone hated Cobb (according to current belief, though he helped a lot of players with fiancial problems). The top 3 vote getters from the 226 writers were : 1) Cobb 222, 2) Ruth 215 and 3) Wagner 215. These voters were from the same era. Hard to believe with Cobb's reputation, he still received the most votes. He must have been "one hell of a player ". He gets my vote.
I think many of these writers were from the "small ball" era and worshiped Ty, who exemplified everything good about that style of play. Then along comes Babe, and suddenlty everything changes. I am not surprised that 7 or these writers would vote for Ty and not Ruth, almost as a way to say if was better back in my day.

Of more interest would be the 215 who voted for Babe, Honus and Ty. How would they rank them 1-2-3?