View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Default Mesh and burlap override cropping variations

The 107 CL card does have a cropping variation with the portrait. However, it pales beside the dramatic change from burlap (tan wide) to mesh (brown fine).

I would not expect any other differences in the checklists. Technically none of the checklists were double printed if you consider the cropping difference a variation. It's really an automatic variation--unlike others where Topps would correct a mistake.

I relooked at my CL3, the Yaz card with the variation on the back ("increase your score" vs "increase the scores"). The former have the fuller "B" on the cap; the latter have the clipped "B".

PSA has slowly recognized these 68 CL variations. The obvious ones are as follows:

2 (107): Burlap vs mesh
7 (518): Amer vs ML rookies
3 (192): Your vs the scores
4 (278): Copyright on back L vs R

5, 6 have cropping changes like the rest on the front. There will be some kind of difference on the back as well, again part of what happened in a new row of setting up cards.

Incidentally, the Topps Milton Bradley cards 107 CL tan wide and brown fine are no different from the regular issue counterparts. This makes sense; other than the possible borders, and of course the coloring in the Brinkman and Cox cards, the fronts of the MBs are exactly the same. Which makes sense, as Topps lifted them en bloc as a row of 11 to supply to Milton Bradley for their ill-fated (at least in terms of sales) game.

A game board alone went for over 60 on ebay a few weeks ago. Veteran toy and game dealers will tell you they have never seen the game except through an auction house.