View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjclarke View Post
Good points all around, except I can not believe those times are accurate. I know they're referenced online if you Google it, but I highly doubt that even Usain Bolt could approach a 2.9 sec- 30 yard dash (even with the 2-3 foot head start from the left side).

When electronically timed, the fastest NFL and/or track stars run around a 4.2 sec 40 yd dash. There may even be some that have run a 40 in the high 4.1's... but even those guys' first 20 yards are substantially slower than their second 20 yds. The thought that someone could average under 1 second per 10 yards for a 30 yard dash is unheard of, if no one on earth can average under a second per 10 yds for a 40.

Handheld times are the stuff legends are made of. That said, the Mick is the stuff of legend and legends in the game of baseball are a beautiful thing.. cork or no cork.
I fully agree that stop watches vs electronic timing explains a great deal of the discrepancies you point out. In addition, the 2.9 sec from the left-side of the plate was probably measured during a drag bunt - yet another tool Mickey had in his arsenal. But, as you state and infer so nicely in your post, the absolute numbers don't mean that much. The combination of his remarkable power from both sides of the plate and sprinters speed (he was considered by most to be the fastest player in the majors, at least before the injuries robbed him of that) are the stuff of legends. And Mickey will always be a legend to those of us who grew wanting to be exactly like him and the generations of fans who only read or viewed his many accomplishments after he finished playing.... cork or no cork!!!