View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 12:51 PM

Dan--I keep an eye on the garage sale postings and check Craigslist at least twice a day, and I read it at about 1 pm day of. When I saw that there was going to be sports memorabilia there (apparently he's a huge sports guy so he had a ton of signed stuff laying around), I got straight in my car and headed across town. Someone snatched up all the best jerseys, including the Jackson--I wonder if he's a forum member--and I was beyond relieved no one thought to ask about the old-looking bat in the corner.

Mike--I'm certainly considering getting it signed, but I have two hesitations. The first is that I just don't know how I'd feel about it with a sig on it. The number one movie prop I've always wanted is the Noisy Cricket from "Men in Black". If I owned it, I wouldn't have Will Smith sign it because I'd want to hold the exact same thing he held in the film, and the one in the film wasn't signed by Will Smith when it caught my eye. The second hesitation is that I'm almost positive he would sign it with some horrible inscription like "Tiger Blood" or "Winning", the latter of which would be the worst possible inscription on a Black Sox-related item, right? Or maybe he'd come up with something funny and baseball-related, but either way, I'm afraid it would make the bat more about Sheen's latest antics and his less-than-stellar reputation. I'd argue that this is the most collectible bat from the film, since Sheen is by far the most (in)famous actor from the film and his 'graphs sell all the time on eBay, but I'd have to see how good of a replica job they did on Black Betsy before making that argument. But the way it is now, it's a relic of the old Charlie Sheen who was part of some of the best baseball movies ever, and I wouldn't want to risk it losing that appeal with a modern sig.

What do you guys think about getting it signed? I'm sure if I hang around the Cedars-Sinai psych department I could catch him by June 1.