View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
??? How is the second card of Mantle the same as the first issue of Superman or Batman?

I don't know if Mantle prices will drop as people who remember him die off, but he's certainly no Babe Ruth, Gehrig or DiMaggio.

A lot of young guys forget that in the '80s baseball cards became fairly worthless compared to what they had been. Same thing happened to comic books in the '70s. So what if Rose was the hit leader and Bonds was the HR leader - neither has a card from the '50s or earlier.
I would certainly put Mantle at the same level as all four of those players from both a numbers standpoint and mystique standpoint (for lack of a better word). The fact that the 1952 Topps card is not his first card means nothing. In actuality it is his 5th or 6th card issued, but I would still consider it his rookie (but that would be a post-war discussion). I don't know anything about comics, but I'm sure whatever analogy Adrian made has some sort of baring.

The 1952 Topps Mantle card will never go down in value relative to the hobby, same as the BN Ruth and t206 Wagner.

I would personally consider the BN Ruth to be the most valuable card in the world right now. I would consider the PSA 8 Wagner to be the most valuable single card in the world and I would certainly consider the PSA 10 Mantles to be up there as well.. $1-1.5 million if I had to guess.

The 1952 Topps Mantle has much more value past the fan appeal. It is arguably the most iconic image in the hobby (certainly the most iconic post war image). Mantle will always have that draw to collectors, not just because his numbers or legendary power or his accolades, but because he is one of the most popular players to have played the game. He's not just going to go away.

Jason

Last edited by jhs5120; 05-20-2013 at 01:27 PM.