View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Sam Lemoine

I'm not positive, but I think I paid $10 or $12 for Aaron at a show in Milwaukee in the mid to late 80's (1987?). I do remember paying $7 in 1991 for Lou Brock in Sacramento and getting the chance to chat with him for about ten minutes. What a SUPER nice guy he was!!! At the same show, my friend paid $40 for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and was the only person in line. He asked for Kareem to sign "Kareem" instead of just "Abdul-Jabbar" and Kareem refused.
My best experience was in the summer of 1988 outside the huge convention they had in Arlington, TX. Inside were hundreds of dealers plus Mantle, Mays, and a dozen other HOFers. I was broke, and I couldn't afford the ticket to get in, much less buy anything. My wife and I decided to go to the mall across the street from the convention center to get some air conditioning. While we were pushing my daughter's stroller I could see a giant baseball in the distance. As I got closer I saw that it was Bob Feller and Lou Burdette sitting at a table. I guess the mall figured they could draw in show traffic by having autograph signers of their own. But nobody was talking to them. I went into a dime store and bought a couple of baseballs and some index cards and went over. Both Feller and Burdette were super nice, and at one point Bob Feller put my baby daughter on his lap and sang songs to her. They told me stories for about 30 minutes before we finally left. All for free. Better than any show signing!