Thread: Set Consistency
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I've been really impressed with Dean's Cards so far. His prices are very fair and his customer service is great. If you are trying to pick up raw commons to fill out a set, I would recommend checking his site out.
Are you serious or is that a plug for Dean's Cards?

If you do an eBay search for "1956 Topps NM Dean's Cards -psa, -sgc" there are 149 results. In other words, you're searching raw cards only. Of those raw cards, the least of which is priced $49.99...for a raw NM common. Most of his '56 commons average about $60-$70 in NM condition. I agree with the customer service part, but how is $60-$70 for a NM raw 1956 Topps common a "fair price"?

To answer the original question, collect the way you like. To me, I like to have consistency. If I was builing a '56 set (which I am), I try to stick within half a grade (which I do). My '56 set is all graded between 7 and 7.5.

I was having this same conversation with another board member yesterday via PM. I had a sub that just popped and, to my surprise, there were a couple of 8s in there. Since I'm building the set for fun and not to compete on the registry, I was telling the other board member that I was going to take those 8s and sell them or trade down. They're out of place with the rest of the set because they're the only two in there. Likewise, I had a few 6s pop that I thought would have been 7s, so I will sell those as well.

If I were doing a broader range set (say from like 5.5 to 7.5), then it's not that big a deal. But when you have all 7s, then yes, I think a 6 would look out of place with your set (assuming that's the only one). That's just me though. As I said at first, collect the way you like.