View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

It's probably going to be a long search to find what the other item was. It really does seem printed, rather than stamped.

I can't really tell if it's over the t206 backs or under. Either way you're probably right about it being some other thing being setup. There are almost always what's called "make-ready" sheets, used for press adjustment. There's a bit of setup, getting the registration right, and sometimes making sure the inking is right before printing the actual production run. Usually only a few sheets, 5 to 10, maybe more if the pressman isn't all that good. The guy I worked with could get things near perfect in less than 5 sheets, it took me 10, but that was the first time doing it. The last thing I setup I got it in 6 which he thought was really good. The sheets used were always either leftovers from something else, or damaged paper. No point in wasting a good sheet.

That batch is interesting. There's at least 3 different sheets. The SC, of course is different, and the piedmonts are two or three different ones. One has two impressions with a good deal of distance between them. Either run through twice or they left the inking on while moving one of the rollers over. The logo is obviously doubled. There's another with no second impression, and maybe one with a slight distance between two impressions.

Another thing I noticed is that -I think- the hand is actually holding the logo. If you turn the logo upside down it matches up with the hand fairly well. So I'm thinking the image is a hand holding a playing card or maybe a package of something, with either berries or flowers on either side.
Probably a trade card. But very hard to figure out with just the one color. If it's a package, maybe cigarettes?

Steve B