View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks for the input. Yes there are back variations, although I'm not into populating them per se right now. There are 3 Gimbels backs--see Leon's post above, 4 Everybody's, and upside down backs confirmed for Successful Farming and Standard Biscuit. Block & Kuhl, Famous & Barr and Herpolsheimer also can all be found with the backs reading top to bottom or bottom to top.

BTW, I do not really discern the differences in your "thick" and "very thick" examples, although my eyes aren't what they used to be. If there is a difference it would make five different backs for Everybody's. There is one missing from your group--I'll try and post scan later but it can be seen on the Old Cardboard site under m101 back "Gallery of all known backs"--it's the one far right.

The way I use to tell these apart is to look at the "E". If both the top and bottom serifs point out at about 45 degree angles, that's one type back (it also has a very broad middle serif). This is the one lacking from the four above. If just the bottom serif points out at that angle and the top and middle "stems" extend the same distance, that's type two (also has long apostrophe, if you're unsure). The third appears to have the top and bottom serifs pointing more directly straight and the middle stem is shortest (also has short-tailed apostrophe if you're unsure). The fourth just has a thicker font by far throughout and is easily distinguished from the others by that feature.

Hope that helps.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.