View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Steve

Default Over vs Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlythefinest2327 View Post
So I just got home from work and took the card under 10x magnification and to my best knowledge it looks as if the f is under the letters/numbers. The black around/over the red is crisp and clear. Im thinking if the card was stamped over the black that there would be some fading of the black or dis coloring of some sort but the black looks sharp. The card came from a guy that pulled it himself and just started selling his cards.
I'm no magnification expert, but I blew up a portion of the scan you made and it appears to me that the red color is overprinted, not underprinted. Looking at just the periodic dots, the one in the red appears to be darker and slightly redish in color, which I would take to mean that the dot is under the red print - no?
Some, not all, of the other numerals give me the same impression under extreme blowup viewing. I could be wrong, but maybe your seller has a less than perfect memory regarding the card and its stamp. By the way, F. Scott Fitzgerald died in 1940, so I doubt that he collected any 1953 Topps cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Topps Mantle F Stamp.jpg (21.7 KB, 212 views)