View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Richard, that's quite an interesting proof. Beautiful, actually. I love the simplicity that proofs offer. What was your original inspiration to collect George Gibson? I don't know a lot about him.
Yeah, I have to admit this 'card' displays really nicely. It's a strange item though. I always figured it'd be cardboard-y like Colgan's themselves, but it's really much thinner. It's in an SGC holder so I can't say for sure, but it's really almost like paper. It'll be interesting to learn more about this.

As for Gibson, I was actively looking for something to focus my collection on many years ago and read his chapter in 'Glory of Their Times'. He's Canadian and played many years with the Pirates teams of Honus Wagner and Fred Clarke fame, before moving on to coaching/managing in the 20's and 30's. Seeing one of his Pirates' uniforms at the Canadian Baseball HoF brought him to life for me. Actually, just mentioning that makes me want to head back there to see it again. When my "hobby time" is not being spent scouring the usual places for cards, I am reading old newspapers and sports publications about Gibson. I find his baseball life to be very interesting.

With respect to collecting, I've identified over 100 issues (w/ variations) including cards, postcards, stamps, chips, discs across a number of sets touching on mostly pre-1920 issues, but also into the 20s and 30s. I've been building this list for years. Just last week alone, a board member (hi Doug!) helped me confirm his inclusion in another issue that I had previously overlooked. The entire "set" has some issues that are difficult enough that I'll probably never get everything, but just possible enough for me to think I should try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
Congrats Richard! That's got to be one of your white whales right?
Yep, it's one of them. When I first learned about this card some 6-7 years ago, it was the first time I'd ever seen one -- but it wasn't available for sale/trade. So I'm pretty stoked to be able to get it now.

Regards,

Richard.