View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 07:44 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Why is it when some people defend these rip off artists (and it's not just Dean's Cards), they use terms like 'guaranteed customer service" and "probably paying a little more" to make their point?

Please tell me what is "guaranteed customer service"? If I buy a card on eBay from seller XYZ and it arrives in the condition as stated within a reasonable time, isn't that great customer service? Should I expect more? What separates Dean's Cards' customer service from seller XYZ's customer service? You say it as if it makes you feel better about your purchase for spending double or triple the price with Dean's Cards than you could have paid with another dealer.

Me: "I just bought this new Toyota Camry at a dealership on the north side of Houston for $27K"

My neighbor: "Well, I just bought the same Toyota Camry at dealership on the south side of Houston for $36K, but the customer service was excellent."

Seriously, don't you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You're justifying the high price with their customer service. Sure, I realize some things in life are worth spending a little more for given their reputation for excellent customer service (like a nice hotel or restaurant), but we're taking baseball cards here. If it gets to you in the condition that is was described, in a timely manner, then that's all that matters, right? I'm not sure why some people equate paying more for a baseball card with the customer service they received.

And as far as "probably paying a little more," there is no probably to it. Can someone show me a card in his inventory that isn't priced at 150% of what the card should normally sell for? And most of them are priced 2 to 3 times retail value.

But in the end it is your money and if you want to spend more of it for a card you can get somewhere else a lot cheaper, by all means go for it.