View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
but I do know I'll be staying within the 30 to 50 grade range for now. For me, eye appeal is the most important factor in buying a card, and I can get some very attractive examples in that range without paying a premium the higher grades demand.
If you stay within a range, your task will be much easier than mine... especially now that SGC has half grades.

Quote:
How do they (SGC) make a card value determination, though?
SGC doesn't make the value determination... the submitter does. Note that they are aware of T206 values, so you can't submit a Broadleaf Cobb for the wild card special I usually say values of $40-50 for my commons (knowing that most of my cards will come back 40-50).

Quote:
What if I send in multiple cards for crossover, and they fall within different tiers. Can I ask them to hold on to the more expensive cards, and then ship them all at once? Or, would I be wise to stick within one tier to ship at a time?
With SGC, you can have multiple orders ship together. If you have a submission with a Cobb that's a three day grade and two dozen commons with the wildcard special at ten days, SGC will ship all 25 cards back together at the cost of 25 cards (and the total insured value). They don't make you pay for two separate shipments. If you have questions, call Earl and he will help you out.

Quote:
If I send in 10 commons PSA 3s, can I expect to get 8 or 9 of them as SGC 40s?
I think I did one crossover. When looking at PSA cards... ignore the number and judge the card for yourself. If there is paper loss or creasing (which isn't uncommon with PSA 3s), it probably won't cross. Also note that in many cases a PSA 3 will sell for more than an SGC 40. So, it's probably working against you to try to cross over unless you get a bargain.

Quote:
Lastly, for higher value cards, how easy is it to upgrade? I just bought my first Hall of Famer, a SGC 30 Walter Johnson portrait (thanks again, Rob!). If I decided to do a SGC 40 set for the registry, and needed to upgrade the Johnson to a SGC 40, is it going to be easier for me to sell the card outright and buy a 40, or are other collectors readily willing to exchange a 30 for a 40 (with cash making up the difference)? Again, please answer based on your experiences.
It's probably going to be tough to find someone who wants to downgrade. If you had an SGC 50, you could certainly find someone who wants to upgrade and you could downgrade. I did this many times in my pursuit of forties. My experience is that you are better off selling the lower grade card.

Hope this helps.